Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bag for field camera?

Drew Wiley

Re: Bag for field camera?

I use mostly use true backpacking packs, not camera store packs. This same topic has come up many times before, so no sense me repeating the same things over and over again. Do a search of past analogous threads.

If you're hiking any distance, you need a backpack, because you'll need a lot more than camera gear -- even for just a day hike.

There are a TON of backpacks to choose from -- and everyone and their mother will tell you something different.

I prefer an external frame pack because it offers more space for a large camera bag on top for easy access. Others hate external frame packs -- but I do a lot of desert hiking and internal frames are just too tight and hot for me.

It's better to get a backpack that's too big than too small because chances are you'll be adding stuff as you go along.

The biggest obstacle might be your tripod -- figuring out where to hang it.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    If you're hiking any distance, you need a backpack, because you'll need a lot more than camera gear -- even for just a day hike.

There are a TON of backpacks to choose from -- and everyone and their mother will tell you something different.

I prefer an external frame pack because it offers more space for a large camera bag on top for easy access. Others hate external frame packs -- but I do a lot of desert hiking and internal frames are just too tight and hot for me.

It's better to get a backpack that's too big than too small because chances are you'll be adding stuff as you go along.

The biggest obstacle might be your tripod -- figuring out where to hang it.
    Thanks. I just found a Wandrd 31 liter on eBay for $150, so I bit. I’m thinking that’ll be good for this season, as I’m just getting back out there after an ankle injury last year and won’t be going too far for a bit - I’m super out of shape, and definitely no backpacking trips! It’s going to be a bit of an adjustment anyway - I’m used to hiking with a very minimalist digital mirrorless setup, so a field camera lenses, holders, plus a good bag and sturdier tripod is going for o be a weight increase.

Quote Originally Posted by jimi2 View Post
    It’s going to be a bit of an adjustment anyway - I’m used to hiking with a very minimalist digital mirrorless setup, so a field camera lenses, holders, plus a good bag and sturdier tripod is going for o be a weight increase.
    Sounds like good exercise -- something I needed after my ankle surgery.

Drew Wiley

I obviously chimed in a bit earlier. But true backpacks are way easier to carry than bags, with less shoulder, neck, and back strain. I use an external frame vintage Kelty one, which is easy to keep propped upright when taken off using one of my trekking poles, because it does have a frame, and is not a soft pack. I've carried Sinar Gear and even my 8x10 system all kinds of steep high places in this manner, thousands of miles overall, sometimes a couple weeks in the backcountry at a time. I reserve shoulder packs only for MF cameras, or a larger one with a little 4X5 folder and a few holders in there too, if just a short distance application.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I reserve shoulder packs only for MF cameras, or a larger one with a little 4X5 folder and a few holders in there too, if just a short distance application.
    My external frame backpack is a roomy REI Trekker Wonderland with an extendable frame for long treks. Most of my photo gear is in a large KIWI camera case which fits in the top for easy access. It has a large shoulder strap so that I can take short trips away from camp with no problem at all.

There have been several threads in the last couple years on packs. My favorite is still the Atlas Adventure for long hikes with the 4x5. But for larger cameras the Shimoda 60L can handle just about anything I want to put in it including my 5x12 and 4x5 together. The best selling points of these packs is their adjustable back supports and waist belts that really distribute the load. Backside zipper compartments , external storage , and modular interiors make these camera bags a pleasure to use.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

I always choose a none photo backpack for maximum capacity.
    I like Osprey backpacks. I use the Vertigo model which was discontinued a long time ago.
    From the current lineup, these look like a nice candidate for hiking with LF gear.
    I protect gears with wrappers basically for maximum load capacity.

https://www.osprey.com/jp/en/packfinder/

https://www.osprey.com/jp/en/product...ackfinder=true
    https://www.osprey.com/jp/en/product...ackfinder=true

I will never carry a backpack again, I always hated them all

If I need light weight I use Cycle Cameras from the 1890's

I have a couple, several store the DDS inside the camera

Exquisite woodworking and very thin leather cladding

The red Russian bellows last forever if NOT stored open

I have 4x5 and 5X7 versions, and now Postcard Camera 3X5.5, with a another DDS for plates in the mail

Noticed it on our FS listings

Including plates

Thank you Dugan!
    Tin Can

Around here "field camera" means wooden and backpacks. I favor neither of those. Metal cameras are my preference.

For spring location shooting, I have two identical Zone VI Small soft Monorail Bags. For decades I carried my 4x5 Norma around in it, now I have two of them. One contains my Peco Plaubel Jr with three Fuji GX680 lenses, and six Wind Lever Singer Graflex Backs. The other contains my short rail Plaubel Jr, and a large assorted of period retro original chrome Plaubel lenses, and six Plaubel Makina Wind Knob Backs. One bag with original Peco Jr lenses, the other bag with cutting edge GX680 Fuji glass.

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

This all fits in the small Zone VI White Bag, looks like a picnic cooler. Restored Plaubel Peco Junior body with Jim Galvin Glenn Evans Graflex Roll Back modded to Peco Junior. Made to nicely hold Singer Graflex 120/220 Roll Backs. Two RH8 2.25x3.25, two RH10 6x7cm, one 220 RH20. Three Fujinon GX680 lenses modded to Plaubel Junior Boards. From the left, the 125mm F5.6 GX680, then the 50mm F5.6 GX680, then on the right, the 180mm F5.6 GX680. All three lenses work perfectly with the standard length Plaubel Peco Jr Rail. Film loaded is Ilford PanF+, Ilford Delta 100, Shanghai 220 EI 100, Maco ORT25, Ilford FP4+, Ilford HP5+. So this I'll be taking out this spring, on an olde Star-D tripod. The tripod has a shoulder strap for traveling, and the bag is HEAVY but has everything I need plus room for odds and ends. Apertures on the shutters fully correctly marked, and verified through direct measurement of the lens front irises. All now perfect ready for fully testing. Eight 120 test rolls have yielded perfect frames, some outside tests and some studio stuff. Will post photos soon. These lenses are sharp enough for digital medium format. Hmmmmmm

If a subject is strong enough, I will duplicate shots on several different emulsions, as a form of "bracketing" and to give myself a choice when I get into the darkroom
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain