Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting the darkroom build. What to consider

Barry Young

Starting the darkroom build. What to consider

Hey everybody:

So, after way too long a story that would bore you to absolute tears, I have decided to share my new darkroom build with you and talk about why I am doing what. Hopefully this will help you if and when you go to build a lab of your own.

An abbreviated history. This will be my fourth darkroom, so I have been around the block on this. Almost two years ago I retired and moved all my stuff which was a lot of stuff from near Seattle to SE Missouri out in the middle of some very hilly (mountainous means something different when you are from Washington State than it does everywhere else) and beautiful land smack dab in the center of the USA. This required me to purchase a 26 foot box truck and drive it 28,600 miles during 6 round trips and one one way trip from Seattle to our new used home here in Missouri. I moved a full machine shop, full cabinetmaking shop, functional darkroom, etc. etc. etc. That was a large job. Nothing could be done until the workshop was complete because all things that are important in life flow from the workshop. The home is now livable and the workshop is finished. Phew! Finally a year and a half into this move it is time to start the photo lab.

In my three other darkrooms, there were always design issues that bugged me. The first lab set up in the corner of a basement was very nice temperature wise, but small and cramped with no running water and no ventilation, it was awful mixing stop bath. The second was in a different house which is usually the only reason we ever build a new one right? The second was larger, in a bedroom. I plumbed water in but ventilation was still very bad and there was carpet on the floor that my wife wanted to keep in the house for some unknown wife reason. Carpet equals dust and it gets everywhere on everything. The popcorn ceiling made matters worse. So, due to dust this second darkroom was almost unusable. The third darkroom was much better, it was once again back in a basement which I much prefer for darkroom location. A solid concrete floor keeps enlargers and stuff from wiggling. The temp is more consistent. There tends to be less popcorn ceilings. I had set it up like all the books said, a wet bench and a dry bench. It worked, but it was small. The sink was too big for the space. The table was too big for the space. It was hard to lightproof the door. One part of the room had acoustic tiled suspended ceiling . Arrrrgh, what is with me and dust generating ceilings??? But it did work.

Now that I am in my forever home, it was time to make a forever darkroom. OK, ceilings, smooth, painted, sheetrock, non-dust generating. The floor concrete. that's great if there is plumbing. Walls, white paint on sheetrock. Lots of electrical and plumbing needs to be there so I will never be hampered if I want to change something. OK, when I purchased this home All of this was going through my mind. No question there was going to be a darkroom, question was what quality would it be when it was done? So, fast forward over a year. most of the boxes are unpacked, storage has been built, Maybe only 100 boxes to go. Essentially we are there. When buying this manufactured home with a full concrete semi-finished basement, I knew before we moved in exactly where I wanted the lab to go, in the SE corner of the basement. There was a small bump in the road on Darkroom Drive. Where I wanted the darkroom to go was filled with a laundry room and bathroom. So I ripped that outa there. We removed a vanity, toilet, shower stall and the wall between the laundry room and bathroom which included a pocket door. Then I ripped out the door to the garage and two windows and after framing in where they were, covered the holes with OSB inside and out and painted them. Poof! No more pesky openings in that wall.

With a manufactured home there is all these I-beams and stuff under the house that supports it when they are driving it down the freeway. At that point I started to photograph the progress with my cell phone. In the first picture you can
    see all the beams and stuff under the house. Also it collects dust which will rain down upon you and your negatives. The answer was to put in a ceiling. I looked at all sorts of options including suspended ceilings. In the end to get what I wanted and avoid the hassle and expense of sheetrock installation, I built my own. I started with 1/8 inch thick hardwood plywood which is sold as door skins for refinishing doors. It is cheap, lightweight and full of slivers. I ripped the sheets to 2 feet wide, then crosscut to the width of the room. To these panels I screwed some cheap 1x2 to give the panels a little but of structural strength so they do not droop. some of the cheapest flat white paint that I could get at the big orange box store was applied to the panels and enough 2x2 to go all the way around the room. Why white? Safelight is wonderful to have during printing. White walls reflect safelight. I know many of you think darkrooms should be painted black. No, only the entrances need to be painted black to minimize reflections of exterior light into the inner sanctum. If you have white walls you need less safelights. If they are black, then it is difficult to see into corners and such because the walls are absorbing all that safelight. So white is what I wanted. Just had to make sure there were NO light leaks. Light leaks would bounce around in there and wreck everything. A ceiling works well to block those light leaks. Photo 2 shows the ceiling in place. This took most of two days to put in. It works well and all the panels are individually removable to allow access to electrical and plumbing. I am very happy with the undusty ceiling.

Time for breakfast. I will write more soon. Right now you are caught up with where things currently stand. Let me know if you want me to continue sharing this or if it is just a dumb repeat.
    Last edited by barryjyoung; 11-May-2023 at 10:32.

Re: Starting the darkroom build. What to consider

Keep it coming! What is the largest format you will enlarge from?

Sent fra min SM-S901B via Tapatalk

I like your ceiling option. I built a basement darkroom in my old house where the basement is not very high. It's as low as 6 feet in places (the floor is uneven so it varies quite a lot!). Currently it has no ceiling at all and I filled the gaps in the joists at the top of the walls with panels of drywall and expanding foam (not pretty). I thought about putting in a drywall ceiling but it seemed like taking away even 1/2 from the ceiling wouldn't be a good idea, but 1/8 inch would probably be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    Keep it coming! What is the largest format you will enlarge from?
    And just as important, what will your largest print be?

Most enlargers in that space will fill up the width.

You're putting the enlarger at the end, correct?

Barry Young

Currently 4x5. I contact print from 11x14 negs and may at some point build a horizontal enlarger for 8x10, not sure on that yet as it is a big job.

Barry Young

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    I like your ceiling option. I built a basement darkroom in my old house where the basement is not very high. It's as low as 6 feet in places (the floor is uneven so it varies quite a lot!). Currently it has no ceiling at all and I filled the gaps in the joists at the top of the walls with panels of drywall and expanding foam (not pretty). I thought about putting in a drywall ceiling but it seemed like taking away even 1/2 from the ceiling wouldn't be a good idea, but 1/8 inch would probably be fine.
    It seems to be working pretty well. It was quick, easy and especially cheap.

Eric Woodbury

Go thru the darkroom portraits here and Photrio. Look at all the pictures. I still find these helpful. Not sure which darkroom number I'm on, except it is my last.

Barry Young

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    And just as important, what will your largest print be?

Most enlargers in that space will fill up the width.

You're putting the enlarger at the end, correct?
    I will have both enlargers at one end, I built mounts to mount the enlargers to the wall in my last darkroom. So the table which serves as a baseboard is removeable to allow printing on the floor. The table mounts to the wall with half hinges which I can remove the hinge pins from. This puts the table back in the same place if I remove it and it stays level so I don
    t have to re-level it each time. One of the enlargers mounts at the end of the room and it flips up to work horizontally to make any size enlargement projecting onto a temporary vertical baseboard. Or at least that is what is planned.

Barry Young

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    Go thru the darkroom portraits here and Photrio. Look at all the pictures. I still find these helpful. Not sure which darkroom number I'm on, except it is my last.
    Oh I have, over and over and over

Keep it coming!

I'm still in a bedroom, but at least it's dedicated, not the one we sleep in, as was the case years ago in a one-bedroom Manhattan apartment. I don't expect to ever have another, and while I would live a longer sink and a separate room for the dry mount press, etc., I can do what I need. I initially considered the basement of this 1950s house, but it does not provide the vertical clearance needed. Just as well; it used to flood in hard rains.

After years here, I was able to afford a sink, which a friend installed and plumbed. After decades washing prints in a plastic tub in the bathroom tub, it's a luxury. Ceiling is 8'; max enlargement, due to sink size and preference, is 11x14. I have processed 16x20s in a tube, but eventually dispensed with it in the course of streamlining my intentions and gear.

As a teen, I was shocked to see the darkroom of eminent photographer Walter Rosenblum, whose 11x14 prints are beautiful. It was in a closet in the family's apartment, with enough room for the sink and scant standing room, period. His trays were stacked in order to leave room for one of those old rotary print washers. Later on, his circumstances improved considerably, but that was an early lesson for me in how dedication trumps gear.

Looking forward to your forthcoming posts.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/