Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Portrait Photographers, How long does your session last?

Re: Portrait Photographers, How long does your session last?

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    A while back I shot six full face portraits with a Tachihara 810HD view camera and the process went smoothly because almost all the work had been done before the sitter arrived.

I used a stand-in seated in a posing chair to set exact focus. Then I ran a string ending in a small bead from the camera to the stand-in. String length was adjusted so that when the bead was between the subjects eyes and the string was taut the subjects eyes are in exact focus. Camera focus was then locked down because the string and bead would guarantee image focus and I would not have to look again at the ground glass or get under a focussing cloth.
    Yes!! That core memory coming back. String Theory is real and you should use it!! I remember I worked with a guy who did that for portraits. We had other methods too cause we sometimes had to move cameras on tripods to another set. A lot of measuring and tape on the floor to get it back to 99.9% the way it was later in the afternoon.
    --

Also works for LF selfies
    Tin Can

Short or long as it takes. With Kids they will cooperate for about a minute, then you have to chase 'em around Best to do with medium format; I favor Mamyaflexes for that

Last time I did an 8x10 B&W session, I studied the glass for at least half an hour, making a lot of tiny micro changes. Subject was relaxed and comfortable and totally cooperative. Think I exposed eight sheets of 8x10 HP5 on that one, last ones were with my olde 420 barrel Imagon. Everybody loved the results. Great shoot.

I used string theory for the lighting tuning up, and another for camera focus. Some subjects can hold a pose for a long time without straining, depends on the situation
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I have a question about the Karsh book under discussion. Does any body know if the 2nd (1960) and 3rd (1961) printing of the 1st edition are of the same quality as the 1st printing (1959)?

Thanks,
    Jim
    Last edited by Jim Cole; 7-May-2023 at 20:53. Reason: Added dates of printings
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Similar to this but from the 50's with excellent paper, good enough to frame each page. Almost perfect

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...dp&ref_=o_3_ii
    Ahh...thank you very much for the specific edition too!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cole View Post
    I have a question about the Karsh book under discussion. Does any body know if the 2nd (1960) and 3rd (1961) printing of the 1st edition are of the same quality as the 1st printing (1959)?

Thanks,
    Jim
    I'll answer my own question. I just received a 1st ed, 3rd printing in Near Fine condition. The answer is yes, the printing is outstanding, portraits are on matte paper and positively glow.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ