Thread: 8x10 Film Holder with glass for scanning (DSLR, maybe flatbed?)

8x10 Film Holder with glass for scanning (DSLR, maybe flatbed?)

Ever wanted an 8x10 film holder with ANR glass but thought that Negative Supply's $1700 solution was a tad outside of your budget?
    Introducing a 3D printed 8x10 film holder you can make for about $30 and a little time & patience, provided you have access to a 3D printer and filament.

What you need:

1) Etched Frame Glass, cut to 9x11-ish, x 2, 3/32in (2.4mm) thickness
    I sourced this from a local art / photo framing store (High Desert Art & Frame for anyone in Albuquerque, NM). They got the glass and cut them to size, for $20.15
    2) 3D printer that has a print bed of at least 245 x 245mm, preferably larger than 245 x 300mm
    3) PLA filament
    4) Clear epoxy glue; I used "PC Products PC-Clear Epoxy Adhesive Liquid" purchased from Amazon, $4.60
    5) Some tiny hinges: I used 8x10mm (what coincidence!) pure copper mini retro butt hinges I got on Amazon, $8.98
    6) 3D printer file (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6004594)

Instructions:

Print two pieces of the same design, insert glass in recess with etched sides facing inward. Use epoxy to bond the glass to the frame. I applied masking tape along the edges of the smooth side of the glass (the side that will be bonded to the frame), to protect the glass from epoxy.

If your printer bed isn't larger than 300mm on one side, I have a "sliced" version in the FreeCAD file at the linked site; if your bed is at least 245 x 160 mm you can print those. I did so using an Anycubic Vyper (245 x 245mm, but in reality it's more like 250 x 255mm).

You can actually use them like this, but if you feel fancy, you can connect the two with small hinges. I got "pure copper mini retro butt hinges" from Amazon; the holes for nails (you don't want to use nails with 3D printed resin) were too small for the smallest screws I had (M2 x 2.5mm); I used a 5/64 drill bit to enlarge all four holes, then used 1/16 drill bit to drill four holes for each hinge, and hand screwed the screws.

Place it on a large-ish LED panel and boom, you're ready for DSLR scanning.

I guess you can try using this for flatbed scanning; you would probably have to use a mode other than 8x10 film mode, because that assumes your film is on the scanner bed; then you want to figure out the height above the scanner bed for optimal focusing. You can enter double that number, in mm, into "Total Thickness" field of the FreeCAD file to adjust the thickness of the holder so that the film will be exactly that height above the scanner bed when using this holder.

I'm a FreeCAD noob so I couldn't figure out how to reflect that particular setting on the "sliced" parts, so it only works for the "SinglePiece" part. If you can figure it out, let me know.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5674.jpg   IMG_5673.jpg   IMG_5671.jpg