Thread: Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar vs. Rodenstock Sironar question

Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar vs. Rodenstock Sironar question

I have an old Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar 210mm (the one that's convertible to a 370mm by removing the front element), and I could trade it in for a Rodenstock Sironar 210mm. Note: This is *not* the Sironar-N, or Sironar-S or the more recent APO Sironar, but the older one that is apparently just "Rodenstock Sironar".

I'm wondering if I can expect a difference in quality by making the trade or if I shouldn't bother. I think both lens are roughly from the same period (somewhere in the 70s?). I'd probably end up paying a small fee to make the trade and I'm pretty satisfied with my current lens so I'd really only make the trade if the Rodenstock is clearly a better lens.

Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar vs. Rodenstock Sironar question

IMHO the optics will be six-of-one but there may be a difference in shutters that is worth the money to change over.

My first LF was a Linhof Technika IV with two lenses, one being a Symmar 180mm f5.6 of that era (ie, convertible) and IMHO it was a nice lens. Newer versions may be marginally sharper in the corners or have marginally larger image circles, or have the benefit of multicoating, but the one thing I learned from that lens was a hatred for Synchro-Compur shutters particularly those with the "old" speed scale. YMMV.

I'm now using single-coated Fujinon large format lenses and the lack of multicoating hasn't been a problem for me. They are all in Japanese shutters (Seiko or Copal).

Small town, South Carolina, US

What I like about my Symmar 150mm lens is the many blades of the Synchro-Compur shutter(as compared to a Copal shutter.) I feel that it has a small benefit in the rendition of out of focus areas.

Don't bother.
    There might be more differences between individual lenses than same-age plasmats from different manufacturers.
    Early Fujinon-W are said to be useful on larger formats, so I tried several 180mm and put that idea away. The corners on 8x10" was not worth the film.

Sent fra min SM-S901B via Tapatalk

Thanks all, that confirms my suspicions!... I like my Symmar and am happy with it! The devil you know, etc. etc.

Should've thought to check the vintage lens list found on this very site! Looks like they are fairly equivalent lenses... similar price range, and the Symmar has a slightly larger cover circle.

HTML Code:
                                       Focal         Cover   Film 2
    Brand       Model             E/G  Length  AP    Circle  Flange  Price  YR 
    ----------  ----------------  ---  ------  ----  ------  ------  -----  -- 
    Rodenstock  Sironar                   210   5.6     266            598   1
    Schneider   Symmar                    210   5.6     297            637   1

Another reason to stick with the Symmar:
    Some early "non- N" Sironars had a problem with separation issues due to synthetic lens cement failure...
    This is immediately recognizable by rainbow-like reflections between lens elements.

My first lens was also a convertible 180mm / 360mm Symmar in a Copal shutter manufactured about 1968. I bought it used in 1975. It has been a good lens. It is not as clinically as sharp as later acquired lenses like a 135mm Symmar S or a 240mm Nikor W. My 180mm Symmar has worked for: buildings, portraits, products, and landscapes. I would use it, and get lens lengths for what images that you want to make.