Thread: Enrollment in University/College--Comments

Enrollment in University/College--Comments

Many LF users are educators, (I being a former one) have had close ties to universities & perhaps teach at one currently or teach photographic workshops. A long term goal of mine since 1976 has been to "reenter academia" at my alma mater, in the photo dept which has come about just recently. I'm in my "Golden Years" of retirement. My aim to reengage in academia has been on going with my last attempt in 2008 when enrolled full time at a local college, I had to withdraw due to the economic downturn of the national economy. Of recent I now have a university professor of photo advising me, giving me assignments, readings and such as an "alumni student" on line; the professor acting's as my personal "mentor" which I am enjoying immensely.

Many of my peers, retired in their golden years, are currently playing--skiing, golfing, fishing, traveling and such. Although, I "play", I consider myself a "photographer" and as such, I lead a "photographic life".

I might be considered an "odd duck" as another mentor has called me, but for those who are engaged in "academia", what might be your take on the above--ie, continued education as a goal, immersion in academia, possible a "honorary degree". I could, as an alternative, immerse myself in specific photo workshops, but I identify with the ancient Greek concept of the rounded out "citizen"--Socrates, Aristotle et al.

( I did receive a BS degree in 1967- immediately engaged in post grad work which was never completed due to the draft of '68--Viet Nam)

Your thoughts, take on this matter--thank you

Re: Enrollment in University/College--Comments

Out here, just about every public college & university offers classes for free to the over-65 crowd on a space-available basis. After the drop-add period is over for the tuition-crowd, if seats are still available, old farts can have a seat -- but no grade or credit is given.
    And if your higher education facilities don't offer it, a lot of professors don't mind at all a free-loader. Better than empty seats!!! No harm in asking -- and if it's a photography class, offer to clean up the darkroom.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I just finished teaching a unit on wet plate as a "visiting artist" at the local community college. Unpaid, but it was enjoyable for me and for the students, and this was the fourth year I've done it. They have a very active program, and the students learn a lot about photography.

I've volunteered to teach or talk about wet plate, large format, or optics to photo classes at my alma mater, the local state university, but they're uninterested in any of those topics. They don't teach photography, they teach how to talk about photography.

It depends on the nature of the photography program...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

It all depends. Is there someone there who you want to learn from? Getting a degree might involve a whole bunch of things that you don't want to do, but maybe the camaraderie is worth it? It all depends on the program and your goals. Personally, I'd much rather pursue my own interests, but then much of my time is already spend on university campuses....
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Most of my photographic life has involved education and a university setting. Moved away from the university setting about 10 years ago but still involved with the educational aspect, having just finished giving a 4-day workshop in carbon printing.

But while the darkroom tech at the university, I took advantage of the few over-60 folks taking photography classes. They were dependable volunteers -- taking one or two 3-hour shifts watching the darkroom (we had up to 80 hrs/week of open lab) and were great examples of how to work in the darkroom. One fellow was a good wood-worker and we made several improvements to the darkroom and classroom.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Gentlemen---Thank you for your notes & thoughts regarding my question above. I might add that the 2 things so far which has been most interesting to me is: 1: Reading the books which has been suggested to me--photo books which are "new" to me---I do have an extensive "photo library" of my own since 1976. The books are a nice addition to what I have, and now I am on my forth one by Richard Misrach 2. Reviewing my negatives, past & present has been rewarding as well--looking at material done in the past---with one camera or another camera. Lee Friedlander is reviewing his old negatives and finding new material to work with. Stephen Shore has used different camera formats which produces images specific to each format.

Working through my old negatives has been rewarding. Attempting to "put it all together" and to possible do a monograph, the professor's suggestion, is an option.

Lascassas, TN

I enroll in classes at Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro. They offer space available options including "for credit” with a cap of $70 plus fees. Or audit for just the fees. ($30 last term). Also, what I liked is the Second Degree option that requires just the core courses.
    Bill Kumpf