Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Lens

Re: Favorite Lens

Well John, you made me think about it. I was wrong. Rodenstock Sironar <nothing>. So, not a W . Oh well, it's pretty good; and inexpensive fun.
    ~Jeff

"it is better to overexpose slightly than to under expose." Ansel Adams, The Negative

The one I have on the only lens board I have for the 4x5 PocketView since 1982 -- a Caltar IIN 150/5.6. With larger formats I seem to have drifted towards the wide side of normal...not too unlike the 135mm on 4x5...(5x7/180mm, 8x10/300mm, 11x14/360mm). I have not yet been tempted by different 'looks' some glass has, including soft-focus.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

90mm of any stripe, but Nikkor 90mm f/8 especially, until the shutter exploded itself. So now using a Rodenstock.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Small town, South Carolina, US

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    90mm of any stripe, but Nikkor 90mm f/8 especially, until the shutter exploded itself. So now using a Rodenstock.
    The Nikon 90mm f/8 is one lens I will never sell. It's worth getting repaired or a new shutter.

135mm Sironar S. It’s almost certainly my most used lens in 4x5. But I use the Nikon 300mm f/9 quite a bit too. I wouldn’t give up either.

M.A. Wikstrom

I don't do much 4x5 anymore, but for 5x7 my favorite is a Fujinon-A 180mm f9. Very small and light, and sharp.

My two favorite lenses are a Fujinon 150mm and a Caltat II N 20mm. If sliming down to just one for landscapes, I'd go with the 150.

If I could choose any lens, and someone els pays for it, I might be looking at a new Schneider APO-whatever. . . .probably in 150mm.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I'd love to see some examples. Mine is 9.5" Wolly Velostigmat with variable diffusion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FB_IMG_1683501116724.jpg  

Schneider Super Angulon 165/8.
    Technically sharp and with its own signature.
    King of the LF lens to me.

How many shots do you need before you know it's your favorite?

I shoot 5x7, for some reason, so my choices would likely be different from a 4x5 shooter anyway, but the one shot I've taken thus far on my Grandagon 115 sparks joy. Roughly equivalent to 24mm on 135/full frame. I need to design and print a slightly recessed board for mine and my camera, just another 5mm or so for comfort.

I just got a Fuji NW 180/5.6 (~35mm EFL) which I have high hopes for. It's neat, a 6/6 design. I am almost certain I will love it.

I've used a Kodak 203/7.7 (~40) and damn, that's a sharp lens. I think it would be a fun choice for a long landscape lens on 4x5, it's super sharp and renders super cleanly.

Lastly, my Fujinar 250/4.7 (50, like right on the money which I find satisfying) is a little sensitive to flare (massive front element with some scratches, what can ya do), but I think I like it. Needs more testing. Maybe foggy days, or if I ever start lith printing. My favorite lens in terms of size and appearance, it sits rather nicely in its Copal 3.

I think I need to shoot a lot more before I'm set on a favorite. I could see the 180 being my most used, as I love 35mm and its equivalents on other formats. I'm definitely a little limited by my camera at the moment, which doesn't help.