Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job Posting

Lascassas, TN

Job Posting

Middle Tennessee State University posted a position for a full time lecturer in the Media Arts (Photography). MTSU is located in Murfreesboro, TN.

https://careers.mtsu.edu/en-us/job/4...jHY_FjW7SiZdGs
    Bill Kumpf

Re: Job Posting

I was on a Professor of Art selection committee at ARTIC

Tons of interviews

I argued for the one I knew, she was deemed too risky as ex junkie, which she admitted

The next year she was selected

and was excellent
    Tin Can

Required Education
    A terminal degree (MFA) in Photography or a closely related field is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Required Education
    A terminal degree (MFA) in Photography or a closely related field is required.
    TERMINAL that sounds bad

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    TERMINAL that sounds bad
    I checked.

What is an MFA degree?
    An MFA is a master’s degree that focuses on coursework in a specific artistic field, such as visual arts, performing arts, creative writing, or design. Many MFAs are considered terminal degrees, meaning that it’s the highest degree you can earn in that subject matter. As such, the degree often qualifies you to teach at the university level, in addition to pursuing other opportunities related to your field.
    https://www.coursera.org/articles/mfa-degree

i qualify with a masters of fine arts. but that would be one heck of a commute! also it would be the first time in my life my degree comes in handy. i should have mastered in lunch... more job offerings there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    she was deemed too risky as ex junkie, which she admitted
    This is illegal. I'm shocked it was even a point of discussion. I'm not lambasting you. You were advocating for this person. Maybe this was many years ago where things like this were less regulated?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Junco View Post
    This is illegal. I'm shocked it was even a point of discussion. I'm not lambasting you. You were advocating for this person. Maybe this was many years ago where things like this were less regulated?
    May be illegal but it is reality. Why would someone take a flyer on a candidate with a known history that is a problem when many other qualified candidates without it are available?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I checked.

What is an MFA degree?
    An MFA is a master’s degree that focuses on coursework in a specific artistic field, such as visual arts, performing arts, creative writing, or design. Many MFAs are considered terminal degrees, meaning that it’s the highest degree you can earn in that subject matter. As such, the degree often qualifies you to teach at the university level, in addition to pursuing other opportunities related to your field.
    https://www.coursera.org/articles/mfa-degree
    I think one can get a Ph.d in a fine arts field, but most people stop at MFA. In some states one needs a Master's Degree to teach in public schools it's not just the university level. Not sure how they are gonna assure a glitchy bot like Maxx Headroom has a MFA or Ph.d down the road.
    Hopefully when candidates defend their thesis it will be live humans, not a room of bots or androids, it might end up like Back to the Future II at the Diner...

I think a PhD in photography is pretty rare. Even when I got my MFA, it was in "Fine Arts" as the photography department only offered MA.

I did look at the Harvard PhD alumni in "Department of Art, Film, and Visual Studies" and they all appear to be writers.

I can't write, that is why I went in to photography