Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Have any of you downsized from 8x10 to 4x5? Why?

Re: Have any of you downgraded from 8x10 to 4x5? Why?

I go through moods. I love 8x10 and 4x5 but also shoot 6x17 (cm). I got rid of my 8x10 a while back and had to repurchase the entire kit, lenses, etc. It all depends on my mood and the subject. They are like children - you love them all.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    5) The vast majority of people will do better work with smaller formats

(not a popular opinion here but I stand by it)
    Amen!

(I really dislike these threads that use the terms “upgrade” or “downgrade” referring to different film formats. Silly. )

I think 810 is the perfect format, really don’t like the smaller lf, but am considering them again for color given the exorbitant price of 810 color. When I did try 4x5 I didn’t really enjoy it, and once I moved up to 810 I realized the smaller formats have most of the disadvantages and none of the advantages I like in 810 (larger screen, decent size contact prints). I can honestly say 810 changed how I see for the better immediately (as did 717 later) and I’m glad I didn’t stop at the smaller formats.

I like enlarging and have many ways to do it

3-1/4 X 4-1/4 is not LF on this forum

However there are many available and in good condition
    Last edited by Tin Can; 19-Apr-2023 at 05:21. Reason: corrrect fprmat size ypo
    Tin Can

Although I still own a few 4x5's, they rarely get used. I'm saving them until I get too old and feeble to handle the 5x7, 5x12 and 8x10. Maybe next year when I'm 95.

Agree!

May I add that using leading questions in a thread title may sour the candy

IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Although I still own a few 4x5's, they rarely get used. I'm saving them until I get too old and feeble to handle the 5x7, 5x12 and 8x10. Maybe next year when I'm 95.
    Tin Can

Small town, South Carolina, US

Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Amen!

(I really dislike these threads that use the terms “upgrade” or “downgrade” referring to different film formats. Silly. )
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Agree!

May I add that using leading questions in a thread title may sour the candy

IMHO

I love all formats! I just needed some motivation not to click "purchase" on the 8x10 in my shopping cart.

Quote Originally Posted by bmikiten View Post
    I go through moods. I love 8x10 and 4x5 but also shoot 6x17 (cm). I got rid of my 8x10 a while back and had to repurchase the entire kit, lenses, etc. It all depends on my mood and the subject. They are like children - you love them all.
    Lol, yes very true.

Quote Originally Posted by G Benaim View Post
    I think 810 is the perfect format, really don’t like the smaller lf, but am considering them again for color given the exorbitant price of 810 color. When I did try 4x5 I didn’t really enjoy it, and once I moved up to 810 I realized the smaller formats have most of the disadvantages and none of the advantages I like in 810 (larger screen, decent size contact prints). I can honestly say 810 changed how I see for the better immediately (as did 717 later) and I’m glad I didn’t stop at the smaller formats.
    I took a look at your work and 8x10 definitely matches your subjects and process!

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I like enlarging and have many ways to do it

3-1/4 X 3-1/4 is not LF on this forum

However there are many available and in good condition
    Hmmmm. I'm not familiar with that format and its pros or cons yet.

Much respect, Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    I still shoot 8x10, but not as much as I used to. Why? Price.
    Felt. Large format slides in this economy???

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I actually began in LF with an 8x10 camera, in 1981. After a year I downsized to 4x5, basically for your reasons 1,2, and 4.
    Since then I've used 8x10 on the job, sporadically, and very occasionally for personal work. That not since 2010... I admire the format but it's still not optimum for me. As you gain LF experience you may change your mind; nothing is more beautiful than a big contact print. But those will be waiting for you when you're ready.
    Yes, I want to have a whirlwind 8x10 romance some day - ideally on a client's dime.

Quote Originally Posted by linhofbiker View Post
    I started shooting 4x5 in 1973 and always had a 4x5 camera along with various 35mm and 120/220 and lately several digital including my iPhone 8.
    Over the years, shooting 4x5, I tended towards wide angle.
    Changed my Linhof 4x5 Kardan TL to a 4x10 with a Chinese back.
    Now with the 4x10 and the Super Angulons in 121 and 165 I am all set for shooting wide stuff that interests me.
    Still have 4x5 and 5x7 cameras and a bunch of lenses - may have to sell these to concentrate on the 4x10 (less distractions).
    I always thought that you can never have too many cameras and lenses. I was wrong. At 78 I intend to practice the KISS principal more astutely.
    It's liberating when you have less options!

Quote Originally Posted by gypsydog View Post
    Blaspheme
    https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20111013021150

Hello,

I use both formats for different projects and for different reasons.
    Honestly, I would downgrade to 4x5 if I didn't have something specific to do with 8x10; it is so much lighter and less expensive that I cannot see really a reason to use 8x10 for the same kind of images that can be done with 4x5, at least for current times.
    Pressing the shutter is the only easy thing

Have a couple of DIY 8x10's around but have never really embraced the format. Smaller LF's (mostly 5x7 these days) work so well for me for all kinds of reasons (aspect ratio, logistics, field-condition performance thresholds, enlarge-ability, relative costs, etc.), and if I want to do contact prints...I go right to 11x14. Works for me!