Thread: Need help w Linhof 5x7

Need help w Linhof 5x7

Hello everyone
    A friend just let me borrow a Linhof 5x7 but it’s got a problem w the back as you can see. It’s missing one of the brackets that hold the gg, but I also think the back is on backwards. Can any of you confirm this and tell me how to fix it? Also, which version is it? Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EE2D23FF-BB34-41D3-8AB1-86D17202FCEF.jpg   2F45854A-A98C-430A-AB9D-9B62AF0A0021.jpg   CD66F415-F8A9-4BB9-8A03-89D557C709AA.jpg  
    Last edited by G Benaim; 17-Apr-2023 at 09:04.

Re: Need help w Linhof 5x7

I have similar but different. Many variations. Perhaps NAZI era.

It looks like the back is the same as on of my studio versions, my one like your is thinner

My back rotate knobs stick UP as your stick out

We need better pics from you

Shoot those with a cell phone, export to Flicker, copy and paste high rez from Flicker into your next post here, limit 8 I think

I will post good pics after you do
    Tin Can

Thanks, figured out how to flip the back and am now looking for the Missing bracket and some lens boards.

The Linhofs often have shims that the ground glass sits on, in order to obtain the correct depth to the focusing surface. You'll need to check that with a depth micrometer. Compare that depth to the depth of your film holder.

For the bracket, you could probably jury-rig something up with a piece of brass, wood or plastic. It just needs to hold the ground glass in place.
    Repenting Sinar Blasphemer ... stonings at 11

The smaller Teks of this period (50's?) Usually had a fresnel under the GG, which would complicate getting the proper T distance on the GG + GG frame vs film + holder T distance... If the fresnel was used on this model, it's not just the fresnel thickness but also it's FL...

You might want to ask one of the service shops if a fresnel was incorporated in this model and if they have any of the specialized parts for it, or will it have to be retrofitted to just use a plain GG...

Good luck, nice camera!!!

Steve K

Thanks, yeah I’m in touch w the guy in sd who does work on these, he mentioned it’s also missing a spring that goes between the glass and bracket and he’s checking to see if he has some spares. Once I get it running I’ll do some focus tests and shim as needed. Is there an easy material for making such thin lens boards? Or do you all just buy the official ones?

Also, this is a great reference page for these cameras https://www.cameraquest.com/techs.htm

The earlier 50's lensboards were different from the later recessed style, and are hard to find now, especially for the 5X7 model... You can fabricate boards for the earlier models out of commonly available thin, flat aluminum that is not too hard to work with...

The lensboard seems oversized, so you can consider having an adapter board made that will adapt to cheap common sized available boards of your choice (like later Linhof) that another camera can share also...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by G Benaim View Post
    Hello everyone
    A friend just let me borrow a Linhof 5x7 but it’s got a problem w the back as you can see. It’s missing one of the brackets that hold the gg, but I also think the back is on backwards. Can any of you confirm this and tell me how to fix it? Also, which version is it? Thanks
    This is a 57 Technika III.
    Made from 1950 until 1957 there were 3 distinct body styles of the 5x7 3 and this is the latest of them.
    The middle style had a bubble level in the bed, and the early style had he back lock knobs at the side and a RF housing that was not flush with the top.

Yes the spring back is backwards, unhook it and flip it around.

Finding proper replacement parts for this camera will require you send it in for service to one of a handful of Linhof repair shops. Unfortunately none of the shops that may have the parts will sell them to you directly as they make their money servicing cameras not selling parts. Sometimes parts show up on eBay but 5x7 parts are very scarce, you would have to get very lucky and even then 5x7 parts are usually priced very high.

Your camera is in well used condition so a major service may be worthwhile. I think it would be worth it to have it restored to its former glory. If you only want to make it useable and don't care about the cosmetics or smoothness of operation then just having the back serviced may cost more than getting annother fully working 5x7 III.

To get into working shape you will need to get a GG and come up with a way to replace the missing bracket, shims, and spring. basically anything that will hold the glass at the proper space. You can remove the existing sides 2 screws and see what is missing as far as shim size and any spring.
    Last edited by Embdude; 19-Apr-2023 at 18:18.