Thread: Floorplan or design for a darkroom

Floorplan or design for a darkroom

Am trying to partition off a portion of my house for a darkroom.
    Would anyone have a plan or design to share?
    Appreciate any tips or insights

Thanks

Re: Floorplan or design for a darkroom

I partitioned off an area of basement by adding a conventionally framed 2x4 wall, and covered with regular drywall. I used a pocket door instead of a conventional door to safe space. The Pocket door was a bit more tricky to light-proof than a conventional door but otherwise I think the advantages of them outweigh the disadvantages, and they are not terribly difficult to DIY install if you go slow and plan things out properly. If you are trying to frame and finish a room out yourself it will take a decent amount of time, unless you are already experienced at it.

Another thing to consider- if you are adding a conventional wall it's easy to add electrical wiring and outlets before the drywall is hung. So plan out your electrical requirements accordingly. The same goes for plumbing if you are going to be adding plumbing lines.

You need to plan for what you are going to do. What size prints maximum, size of trays controls size of a darkroom sink. Color and or black and white. Size of maximum enlarger (8x10 enlargers may need a ceiling height greater than 8 feet clear) number of enlargers. Some enlargers have stands - others need to be wall hung or put on a counter. Just wet room or combined wet and dry room. Ventilation, heating and air conditioning. Light leak control.

Les

If you are removing (any) posts/walls, etc. make sure they are not a supporting bearing walls/posts that support structure....all the way to the roof. Design wise, make it's flexible for you....assign receptacles where you expect them to be.....and don't always place them near the floor as per standard. For instance, if you'd be wet printing make sure you have them above the sink and GFCI'd it for your safety....and not necessarily because govt entity may dictate it. Be certain where you would place items that run on 110 or 240V and same goes for amps as well (15/20 or even 30?). Take your time with locating all the items....even go into cardboard cutouts to plan this out on a floor plan + give space for walkway/access, etc. Lining up all those ducks during the planning will one day make a difference whether you willfully wish (with a smile ?) to work on developing/printing, etc.....or not.
    Les

On occasion I noticed there is real life outside the GG/viewfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by redalf View Post
    Am trying to partition off a portion of my house for a darkroom.
    Would anyone have a plan or design to share?
    Appreciate any tips or insights

Thanks
    Depends. How many enlargers? What size prints? Where is the plumbing (if any) located. Are there windows that need to be blocked off? Any ventilation? A dry side and a wet side, ideally located on opposite walls is about the only requisite.