Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is tray development the best way to avoid scratches? What DON'T you like about it?

Re: Is tray development the best way to avoid scratches? What DON'T you like about it

As a teenager, I was taught to tray develop by inspection, both 4x5 and 8x10 film. The size of the tray is important; 8x10 for 4x5 has always been my choice. The use of a pinch or two of sodium metaborate (Kodalk) in the presoak makes an easier shuffle. The shuffle takes practice, but the tray process gives the best results for even development, in my opinion. Scratches are a result of poor technique. When I was doing professional work, twelve negatives per tray was typical, not done by inspection. Edward Weston, not known for a large output, tray developed his 8x10's one at a time, by inspection. The keys are practice and perseverance; don't become discouraged!

Re: Is tray development the best way to avoid scratches? What DON'T you like about it

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Never any scratches with 4x5 in the combiplan tanks.
    The same for me.

I’m amazed at those that can shuffle 6 or more sheets and not get any scratches. I am not dexterous. I like the jobo expert drums since they are very even. For smaller film formats I think the edge effects of intermittent agitation have benefits so tend to use SS tanks.

Your reel is probably fixable. Have you tried sanding down all the rough areas of the reel that contact the film? 3D printed objects do not come off the printer as smooth as injection molded plastic.

I notice I am the only one to actually show an in process neg

Good, Bad or Ugly
    Tin Can

HRU Fixing Step Dental Clips 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I have found that using XRAY CLIPS on Fuji HRU can completely eliminate scratches, if you are diligent

HRU Makiflex Std Mic-X 240 f4.5 Tele-Arton by Nokton48, on Flickr

See? Perfect no defects!
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I notice I am the only one to actually show an in process neg

Good, Bad or Ugly
    I will try to photograph one of my tests - not easy as it has to be perfectly flat to photograph ok (unfortunately I don't currently have a scanner, which would be much easier). My test negatives are uniformly flashed, then developed, then contact printed onto matte paper at high contrast. This method is a little over the top from a photographic perspective since it will show any little flaw or variation typically hidden in actual photographs. Nevertheless it is the best way to compare the results from various processing methods.

Daniel, that's such a simple solution for keeping multiple sheets from touching in a tray. Makes me feel a bit silly for ordering the Strearman press tray to play with intermittent agitation on 5x7, though that does allow processing in the light.

Thanks Larry! BTW I am getting ready to align that Omega 5x7 E3 enlarger I got from you, I cleaned up the exterior metal and now it looks great! Have all of the original E3 carriers now and I've been using it with a 5x7 Omegalite for E4. Works just great and doesn't get hot at all

I bought XRAY clips several bags a buck a piece on Ebay. Now I have a good pile of them. Works great

That original autofocus 190 Wolly is really not too bad a performer. KHB says that enlarger was military only not ever sold to the public. What a great find!
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    .......with a glass sheet at the bottom to avoid scratching).
    Ahh! that will work! ;-)

Drew Wiley

Why would a tray scratch film unless it's dirty? Film scratches other film. Most trays are either smooth polyethylene or styrene, or smooth stainless. Mine have either moulded-in smooth dimples, or post-attached very smooth silicone ones to keep the film reliably off the bottom; and I always develop emulsion-up. Doing it emulsion-down temps air bell effects as well as sticking and unevenness.

The most sensitive point in the process is right at the start, as you put your sheets one after another into the pre-soak. There's a risk of them sticking together if not done right.

Combi-plan? I use the inners of those for sake of retaining 4x5 sheets in the final washing phase, in an 11X14 slot washer with the septums removed, but otherwise found the system hopeless for development itself - miserably uneven densities.