Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10x8 BTZS tubes

10x8 BTZS tubes

Does anyone know where these can be obtained? View Camera Store advertises 5x4 only, and BTZS.org refers back to VC Store.

Thanks.

Re: 10x8 BTZS tubes

Contact Fred Newman at the View Camera Store and ask if he has plans to make any more.

If not, then you'll just need to keep an eye on the used market - post a WTB here, watch eBay, and so on. Or else make your own - Phil Davis described this in his BTZS book, and over the years there have been articles and forum discussions about this.

I’ll add that there are two types of 8x10 BTZS tubes. The original ones were fabricated from grey pvc tubing and haven’t been made for quite a few years. The later ones were repurposed welding electrode storage tubes. In doing a little online research it looks like the black welding electrode tubes are getting harder to find. I have purchased “Rod Guard” brand in the past but they don’t offer black anymore. I did find this seller on eBay but you would have to check with them about shipping to Australia. I didn’t see anything on Australia eBay, but it was just a quick search.

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 19748759-3FF0-4316-8F59-66CE00B4E4B6.jpg  

My thanks for the information. I looked at Steve Sherman's video and I think that might be the way to go. Getting PVC tubing and cutting it to size is not a problem, although I'm still looking for the end cap he glues on, and the expansion cap at the other end. I found Rod Guard storage containers in Australia, the 14 inch version, in both blue and yellow, so would have to check for light tightness. Internal diameter is 65mm, so that would work, and they claim they are airtight, so I assume watertight as well.

I want to do EMA/ semi-stand development on 10x8 sheets, X-ray and pan film, using Pyrocat HD and 510 Pyro. Currently, I use a Stearman 445 tank for 5x4 sheets, and I was hoping their 10x8 version would solve the problem. However, Sherman states that semi-stand tray development is problematic, and I don't have the space for vertical tank/hangers.

Thanks again. Cheers.

FWIW, the Sherman tanks work great for EMA processing of sheet film with Pyrocat-HD. The end caps can be a little difficult to find, but the expansion cap is a Sioux Mechanical Test Plug. A Google search will reveal many places to these plugs.

Fred Newman told me he stopped selling the 8x10 tubes because the design caused scratches on the film. I had a set and unless I was really careful, I occasionally got scratches. I switched to a Jobo drum with a manual rotary base and never looked back.

FWIW, I used a pair of the early-vintage grey 8x10 BTZS tubes long ago, before I got a Jobo - didn't have any scratching problems with those.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    FWIW, I used a pair of the early-vintage grey 8x10 BTZS tubes long ago, before I got a Jobo - didn't have any scratching problems with those.
    Early tubes were polished (by me) on the inside before they were capped and sent to customers. PVC when made has lots of imperfections that actually help keep the film back from sticking. 4x5 tubes were and still are injection molded so that's not an issue. If you can find old 8x10 tubes, they work well.

I have 4 of these older tubes that I use when I'm too lazy to setup and break down the Jobo. I've had them for many years and, also, never once had any scratching problems or any other issues.

I've also got the original style and have had no problem with scratches. Took me a few years to find them but the do come up for sale occasionally.

Roger