Page 38 of 63 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: The AI thread

Re: What's going to become of photography?

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    there's a lot of everything in every medium on the planet being churned out by talented hacks. that's the beauty of the world we live in, ... if someone wants to do something nothing's stopping them. at least those talented hacks are happy and proud to show their work, and some of these so called talented hacks are pretty darn good at what they do ( they really aren't talentless hacks at all, but highly skilled and talented enough that others might be jealous of enough to call talented hacks ) nothing new under the sun and all that ..
    By hack, I mean someone who turns out work purely for money with no interest in the artistic merit. Sure some may be talented, but most are not. They will be the first to go because of AI. Believe me, there is more crap being turned out by talentless hacks than necessary. I am not maligning all the art being made outside of the mainstream or for purely commercial purposes, just there is a lot of tacky junk churned out that takes up space and attention it doesn't merit.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    By hack, I mean someone who turns out work purely for money with no interest in the artistic merit. Sure some may be talented, but most are not. They will be the first to go because of AI. Believe me, there is more crap being turned out by talentless hacks than necessary. I am not maligning all the art being made outside of the mainstream or for purely commercial purposes, just there is a lot of tacky junk churned out that takes up space and attention it doesn't merit.
    not sure why it matters whether they care about "artistic merit" or not. a lot of people think something is artistic when it's not, some people claim their work is "fine-art" and when you ask what that means it's like a deer in the headlights , besides when it comes to photography, everyone and his brother no matter how good or not as good they might or might not be, believes they are a "fine art photographer".. I mean people ooo and aahhhh over stuff I have no interest in, and scratch their heads regarding things I think have artistic merit, and I have an education in art and architecture. LOL ...
    I think the whole question about who the low hanging fruit is is kind of funny because no one ever thinks their work is lame, derivative, lacking artistic merit &c, because in the end it has as much merit as some Ansel Adams or Edward Weston photograph ... and somethings in life are loving things that is so schlocky, tacky derivative and lacking artistic merit just-because ... I mean have you ever seen the movies the brain that wouldn't die, frankenhooker or the baby ? high art and great film.

Whoa whoa whoa just hold your horses there. I’ve certainly never referred to myself as a “fine art (insert hobby)”. I also can’t think of any really good photographers who use(d) that silly thing. It screams you be tryin way too hard.

not sure why it matters whether they care about "artistic merit" or not. a lot of people think something is artistic when it's not, some people claim their work is "fine-art" and when you ask what that means it's like a deer in the headlights , besides when it comes to photography, everyone and his brother no matter how good or not as good they might or might not be, believes they are a "fine art photographer".. I mean people ooo and aahhhh over stuff I have no interest in, and scratch their heads regarding things I think have artistic merit, and I have an education in art and architecture. LOL ...
    I think the whole question about who the low hanging fruit is is kind of funny because no one ever thinks their work is lame, derivative, lacking artistic merit &c, because in the end it has as much merit as some Ansel Adams or Edward Weston photograph ... and somethings in life are loving things that is so schlocky, tacky derivative and lacking artistic merit just-because ... I mean have you ever seen the movies the brain that wouldn't die, frankenhooker or the baby ? high art and great film.

Hacks are those who get paid for their schlock. Just walk into any T-shirt shop or pick up a throw-away newspaper. I’m not talking about you aunt Susie, here.

We're not artists. We're photographers. Art is as it affects the viewer. So it's the viewer that would define something as artistic, not the creator.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    We're not artists. We're photographers. Art is as it affects the viewer. So it's the viewer that would define something as artistic, not the creator.
    Not really. Who teaches art or photography in schools, the cafeteria staff?

Drew Wiley

The cafeteria staff would probably do a better job at it.

The discussion in this thread almost convinced me to try a word\sentence generator (would you call it an AI ?) to write poetry. I have no ability or talent otherwise...
    Will anyone be interested in reading my creations ?

Is this concept any different from "creating" AI-generated\assisted images?

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa just hold your horses there. I’ve certainly never referred to myself as a “fine art (insert hobby)”. I also can’t think of any really good photographers who use(d) that silly thing. It screams you be tryin way too hard.
    HA! a lot of people claim they are fine art photographers, maybe not you but there are more fine art photographers with websites of their photographs than you can shake a stick at

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    who is the "we" you are referring to ? plenty of photographers are artists, as Pieter said the people who teach them are as well. usually university staff who works in the departments that teach art have a Master's Degree / MFA ( Master of Fine Arts ).

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    The cafeteria staff would probably do a better job at it.
    right on cue! LOL
    but I think not .

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    Not really. Who teaches art or photography in schools, the cafeteria staff?
    A saxophonist is a musician. Only their agent and their mother think they're an artist.