Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight 4x5 with good movements?

Re: Lightweight 4x5 with good movements?

Quote Originally Posted by jimi2 View Post
    Thanks everyone. I’m really starting over here after shooting 4x5 in college like 20 years ago, so this is all good info.

The Toko is about $1300, which is more than I wanted to spend, but it’s local and comes with a return policy vs getting a Tachichara on eBay for $800-900. Looks like the Toko has rear standard focusing in addition to the better movements. I’m leaning toward picking it up as I can’t find a single other one out there.

Yikes. I bought a Tachihara a few months ago in perfect shape for $300, and I'd never pay more that $700 for a Toko -- unless it had a really nice lens. But I don't live where you do, and I'm not in a rush. For $1200, I might consider selling one of mine!
    Last edited by xkaes; 12-Apr-2023 at 05:39.

Jimi2, my Tachi is the 4x5 Hope, but again, there are variations over the years. Mine is fairly typical. What I said about the front swing you'll find in books on using a view camera: When the movements are insufficient, there are ways to overcome the issue. In this case, for example, you could swing the back in the opposite direction and then, if desired, pan the camera a bit so that the back realigned parallel to subject to prevent a shape change. In the case of lacking a shift movement, you pan the camera slightly, then swing front and back to make them parallel; the result is the same as shift.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Actually, looks like there’s not [I]that[I]much difference in movements among the Toko, Wista Dx, and Tachihara Hope. And the later two are available on eBay for 500-800. So I may just go with the Tachihara - it has almost as much front swing (17 degrees) and more rear swing (23) than the Toko.

Lachlan 717

Get an Intrepid and some good glass…
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I have a Nagaoka which is incredibly light but has limited movements. That said when it comes to landscapes I've come away feel wanting. It's got decent feint rise/fall and tilt, rear tilt, and a bit of rear swing. Also they're cheaper than the Wistas and Tachiharas they're based off of.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

MY beautiful no name Nagaoka has a real good factory fresnel with custom silver paint

The LIGHTEST 4x5 Large Format Field Camera! | Nagaoka

Thanks Kumar!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    MY beautiful no name Nagaoka has a real good factory fresnel with custom silver paint

The LIGHTEST 4x5 Large Format Field Camera! | Nagaoka

Thanks Kumar!
    Those Nagaokas are SO light. I would love to have a 4x5 that weighs 2.5 lbs, but I ended up deciding to sacrifice some weight for better movements. I just ordered a Chamonix 45f-1 from KEH for $800. I think it’ll do everything I want, but if not, I’ll just send it back. Seemed about the same price as the Tachiharas, and I won’t have to deal with shipping from or to Japan.

What do you consider "Extensive Movements"?

Most field camera users don't find they need all that much.

Let us know the minimum amount that is acceptable - will make matching you with a camera much easier.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Hi all, I’m just getting back into shooting large format after quite a few years. I love my old Toyo 45c’s movements, but it’s far too heavy and bulky to take hiking, so I’m looking at getting a wooden field camera. Any recommendation for a lightweight one with extensive movements? So far I’m looking at the Tachihara 4x5 and the Toko Nikki ii, both of which come in around 3.5lbs. Does the Toko have better movement range? The Tachihara is far less expensive, but I could stretch for the Toko if necessary. Any other cameras I should be looking at? Thanks for the help!
    You might also consider a Toho 45FX, a super-light weight, collapsible monorail 4x5. (I know that it sounds confusing but there are Toho, Toko, and Toyo folding large format cameras.)

Actually, looks like there’s not [I]that[I]much difference in movements among the Toko, Wista Dx, and Tachihara Hope. And the later two are available on eBay for 500-800. So I may just go with the Tachihara - it has almost as much front swing (17 degrees) and more rear swing (23) than the Toko.
    And how much total extension? And rear forward AND backward movement???