Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 Film Holders

Re: Film Holders Source

Quote Originally Posted by HughC View Post
    That’s what I’m thinking.
    Being I’m starting over with a new camera might as well get new holders and put the odds in my favor.
    Thank for the reply.
    I started 4x5 LF photography three years ago with a new Chamonix 45H-1. I bought their new lens boards figuring I deserve theirs since I bought the camera new. Why screw around with other people's problems, light leaks, ill-fitting, etc. I have enough problems learning a view camera. Good luck on whatever you decide.
    https://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/a...ies/lensboards

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Traditional Lisco or Riteway are just fine unless abused. Try to find the cleanest ones possible, if "pre-owned". 4X5 holders are still common.
    How would he know what's abused? Especially before buying them?

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Several years ago, I bought a small stash of 4x5 holders from KEH (www.keh.com).
    They were a mix of new-looking ones (they had film in them!) and a few older, used, but not abused holders.
    They were cheap (about $5-$7 each) and are still working fine for a few years and many shoots later.
    When I travel, I store them in Stone Photo cases to save some bruising because my 4x5 bag can sometimes get bumped around.
    Penny wise, pound foolish. He's going to spend thousands on new camera equipment and go cheap on lens boards. Should he use expired film too?

Re: 4x5 Film Holders

I said lens boards but it also goes for film holders. The Chamonix wood ones are a work of art. They also make plastic. Both types come with carbon fiber dark boards.
    https://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/a...es/filmholders

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Penny wise, pound foolish. He's going to spend thousands on new camera equipment and go cheap on lens boards. Should he use expired film too?
    To each their own. I saw students go hungry because they could not afford gear, props, film, etc., and would cut out lunch.
    I refuse to buy new lensboards when there is an abundance on the used market that work just as well on my cameras.
    The cost of 4x5 holders has gotten ridiculous. I remember when $50 bought me 4 new film holders (2 boxes of 2 Fidelity), which was not that long ago.

Buy used from a reputable camera store not a “dealer”. Or pay for the new ones that you will know the history of as you make it.
    Some used holders might have been through a flood or worse…

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    To each their own. I saw students go hungry because they could not afford gear, props, film, etc., and would cut out lunch.
    I refuse to buy new lensboards when there is an abundance on the used market that work just as well on my cameras.
    The cost of 4x5 holders has gotten ridiculous. I remember when $50 bought me 4 new film holders (2 boxes of 2 Fidelity), which was not that long ago.
    The OP is not a starving student. He said he's buying a new Chamonix camera that costs around $1500 without lenses or film holders. Of course, if someone is on a budget, then sure, their options change and your suggestions make more sense.

Good point about the European sizes, however the 5x7-inch and 13 x 18cm are close enough to be effectively interchangable.
    The 13 x 18cm size is "slightly" larger in both dimensions, but by so little a 5 x 7" film will fit and be held in the 13x18cm holder.
    Obviously the same is NOT true for 4 x 5", which often translates to 9 x 12cm, which is not only far off the physical dimensions, but a completely different image aspect ratio, and exactly the same thing applies to 8 x 10" compared with 18 x 24cm.
    These holders have the same external dimensions, in compliance with international standard, but very different film sizes. Only the 5x7/13x18cm are close enough as to be essentially interchangable.
    It is interesting to note that the European film standards were slightly more "rectangular" at 1.33:1 than the "boxier" American standards at 1.25:1 aspect ratio.
    In terms of absolute quality, LINHOF went a great leap beyond all the others in developing an industrial-standard film-holder, replete with a metal numerotation die and an ejection lever, serving not only to easily remove a film for processing, bbut also as a check to see whetehr a film is actually loaded in that slot. Expect to pay a lot more and to carry a lot more weight for those super-duty LINHOF holders.

FWIW, my favorite used 4x5 film holders are the old school Graphic Riteway----not the newer version.
    I've gotten mine off eBay, but I'd prefer to buy through a brick & mortar.
    YMMV of course.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thanks for all the feedback I really appreciate it. Spending money for a new beautiful camera, it doesn’t seen right using a second hand film holder. Will be buying new. Really looking forward to slowing down and shooting 4x5.