Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Center Filter Needed for 90mm on 4x5?

Re: Center Filter Needed for 90mm on 4x5?

I do not shoot color sheet film

and I like the automatic vignetting on BW

I think ALL center filters are imperfect by now...
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I do not shoot color sheet film

and I like the automatic vignetting on BW

I think ALL center filters are imperfect by now...
    What do you mean, "...by now."

Drew Wiley

Sergey - you and my densitometer don't agree about that falloff on 4X5 "not being detectable" - not by a country mile. This is especially the case if a greater portion of the image circle is used, like the common use of significant rise in architectural photography. In that case, it's easily the full stop and a half of the prescribed CF exposure compensation. That's a helluva lot when it comes to repro of color images, especially chromes. And landscape work itself can often involve serious rise and movements. Just spend some times in our redwood forests or among the the high peaks. And plenty of times "architecture" and "landscape" intersect, or occur on the same trip; there aren't nice neat pigeonholes one can lump this or that into every time, thank goodness. All that kind of terminology gets pretty crass.

Black and white photography - don't make assumptions either. A high contrast scene of 10 - 12 stop range might not have any latitude left on the film for retrieving shadow detail, depending on the specific film involved. Of course, if one enjoys totally blacked out corners to the image, that's their choice.

Drew,

I shot a lot of images with a Chamonix. That thing does not allow much of movements with a 90mm lens. I have yet to see my imagens failing due to excessive light falloff with that lens on a monorail with significant rise or fall.
    Usage of a densitometer moves this discussion into scientific realm. Scientific research is not the purpose of my photography.
    There always will be edge cases where usage of a CF with the 90mm F4.5 SW might be beneficial. For general photography the benefits of it are questionable but the associated pain is not. Hence my earlier statement.
    I will not make the same statement about usage of a CF with other 90mm lenses as I have no experience with them. Super Angulons of 75mm and wider do greatly benefit from usage of a CF up a point where the light falloff is quite pronounced and requires corrections even on 6x12.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Sergey - you and my densitometer don't agree about that falloff on 4X5 "not being detectable" - not by a country mile. This is especially the case if a greater portion of the image circle is used, like the common use of significant rise in architectural photography. In that case, it's easily the full stop and a half of the prescribed CF exposure compensation.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lightlosbypicture.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	237649

I use a WEAK CND filter on my 105mm lens because the corners -- with its 80° picture angle -- has a 1.5 f-stop light fall off in the corners.

Some people like light fall-off, some don't -- and other don't notice it. And a lot depends on the subject.