Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Metal field cameras - what was the niche?

Metal field cameras - what was the niche?

I've been using my Rittreck View for 9 months or so; I bought it as a cheap, beater camera for wet plate (generally landscapes) for which it works great. Since I'm already doing wet plate, the weight isn't really an issue. Prior to that I was using a Toyo 4x5 monorail, which wasn't very convenient to pack/carry around but did have all those lovely geared movements. I still have it but haven't touched it since I got the Rittreck, though I did find myself wishing I had it for some architectural stuff I was doing last week.

When people ask about the Rittreck (usually assuming it's valuable, and being surprised I'll leave it unattended for 20+ minutes while I get a new plate ready) I have to explain that it's a really cheap camera because nobody wants them anymore - AFAIK all the current 4x5 cameras being made are lightweight field cameras for people who want to take them out and do landscapes, and those types of cameras do best on the secondhand market as well - Tachihara, Wisner, etc. The Rittrecks, on the other hand, can be picked up on Yahoo! Auctions for a pittance -- it's not hard to get one for under US$100 in good working order with the 4x5 back, and not too much more for the 5x7. If you're outside Japan you need to add on international postage, proxy site fees, etc, but still, it's really cheap. Demand seems non-existant as they don't seem to fill a relevant niche for today's LF photographers, who are largely hobbyists.

I'm curious what the niche was for these heavy metal field cameras originally; I couldn't imagine taking this thing on a long hike, and a monorail seems to be the better camera for macro/studio work. Was it just cheaper than an equivalent sized monorail or wooden field camera? Or was it used by pros who shot outside of the studio frequently and wanted something portable, but also durable? I will say mine has soaked up a decent amount of abuse in the brief time I've owned it, largely without complaint.

My particular camera has markings on the ground glass for a Polaroid back, so my best guess is that it might have been used by a Japanese commercial photographer in the 70s/80s, I'm guessing for modeling (since a product photographer would probably want the more generous and convenient movements of a monorail).

Re: Metal field cameras - what was the niche?

I've read that they were popular with Japanese street photographers in the mid-20th Century at the big tourist spots: by "street photographer" I mean people that made a living taking photos of tourists and selling the prints to them, probably with a same- or next-day service. The cameras pop up on eBay occasionally with stickers (or dymo tape labels) on them saying things like "STUDIO 2" so they were probably also used for formal portraiture. Some often come with sliding backs that allow two images to be made in a single 4x5 or half-plate sheet of film. Roll film backs were also made so that marking on your camera may be 6x7 or 6x9.

I accidentally ended up with four Rittreck View cameras: I say "accidentally" because a scruffy looking camera with a 4x5 back is often about the same cost as a 4x5 back by itself. New replacement bellows are being made in China and sold on eBay and Aliexpress and are reasonably priced and easy to change. (Of my four cameras, one has bad original bellows and isn't working, one has good original bellows, and two have new bellows.) Most or all have scrunched-up bellows caused by closing the camera carelessly, a problem shared with other metal field cameras (like the Toyo Field 45A).

In their defence, they are a compact 5x7 metal field camera; as a 4x5 camera they are heavier than a comparable metal field Toyo, Wista or Linhof but are not a lot bigger. Their metal box is quite shallow so they easily infinity focus 65mm lenses on recessed boards, 75mm and longer on flat boards, and the 390mm of maximum extension can take a 300mm plasmat or a Nikkor T ED 500mm telephoto lens.

I have the 4x5 and 5x7 backs, and 6½x8½ whole plate extension backs (one old wooden bookform glass plate back, and one modern spring back). An 8x10 extension back is also available but it is selling for 3x to 4x the cost of a body. The 5x7 backs are now more expensive than a whole camera with a 4x5 back. If you can pick one up for $100 then do so and resell it on eBay.

Yes, Precision Japanese construction

The Rittreck was very popular in Japan

It has Micro Focusing capacity with a secondary knob
    Tin Can

Lots of people prefer folding metal field cameras over the lighter wooden models. Apparently they think they are more rugged -- but they don't have more features, and cost more. That's a generalization, but not an over-generalization.

One reason a particular brand costs less is because of poor name recognition -- and availability. For example, Toko wooden field cameras usually sell for a lot less than Tachihara or Wista field cameras even though the Toko have more features and are harder to find.

"Metal field cameras" is a broad generalization from the Rittreck. Most field camera users work in 4x5 rather than 5x7, and most metal 4x5 field cameras are substantially smaller and lighter than the Rittreck. Conversely, if one does want a 5x7 metal field camera, the only one I can think of that is smaller and lighter than the Rittreck is the Canham MQC, and that camera is vastly more expensive.

Good question, though, about what market the Rittreck was aimed at. I can't answer that definitively, but note this advertisement that also offers a studio stand.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rittreck_ad.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    ...note this advertisement that also offers a studio stand.
    Does that Kanji text relate the camera and stand to each other in any way, or are they two separate items that happen to share an ad?

Read down in the manual

Micro Focus for eye focus

I have one
    https://www.butkus.org/chinon/wista/wista_45.htm

Not everybody hikes
    Tin Can

Metal cameras in the winter time is a bad choice. Here in New England the temps get down below Zero. The best ice is found at a temp around o degrees. Problem with metal camera you can not work the controls with gloves on. Being aluminum they loss heat fast and become very cold. Prime condition for frost bit.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Does that Kanji text relate the camera and stand to each other in any way, or are they two separate items that happen to share an ad?
    Good question! So far as my very rusty Japanese allows me to tell, the ad text does not explicitly tie them together. OTOH, the camera shown mounted on the stand is a Rittreck View.

I began with a Deardorff 5x7/4x5. I think that I was driven towards a rail, metal camera (Arca Swiss) because of its precision, its ability to accept a bag bellows, and the ease with which a rail camera can be extended.

Also, wood flatbeds that have this kind of versatility tend to be expensive.