Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben Horne Feb 2023 8X10 Death Valley

Ben Horne Feb 2023 8X10 Death Valley

Posting this as I always find his work interesting, for at least for a decade

We have no connection, he may even hate me

Regardless

The below is his Patreon, I have a few memberships
    https://www.patreon.com/m/275475/about

He hikes alone in Death Valley and has a well done video of how desolate it is, he shot it too

Free sample above

and he picks up trash as he goes
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Re: Ben Horne Feb 2023 8X10 Death Valley

Gotta pay to watch. Ya don't ever want to be out shooting LF in Death Valley in March. All that fine clay and salt dust gets into everything during March winds. But most of the paved roads are now repaired and drivable in DV, but not back dirt backroads, perhaps for quite awhile longer, and not the upper Wildrose Can road, which is sill under deep snow.

I've been following him on youtube for a few year now, good quality work and interesting videos.

I think he should not be alone

Yep $3 a month

I can afford that

The video I linked to is FREE

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Gotta pay to watch. Ya don't ever want to be out shooting LF in Death Valley in March. All that fine clay and salt dust gets into everything during March winds. But most of the paved roads are now repaired and drivable in DV, but not back dirt backroads, perhaps for quite awhile longer, and not the upper Wildrose Can road, which is sill under deep snow.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Gotta pay to watch...
    Incorrect. Randy linked to Patreon, a voluntary donation mechanism. All Ben Horne's videos are on YouTube, readily viewable, and even free of commercial advertising.

Perhaps I will watch later. I have spent a lot time hiking alone in Death Valley NP with the 8x10...usually this time of year. I try to find place of interesting light and no people, and just head out until the film, light, and/or water is gone. Also I try not to leave semi-permenant tracks for the next photographer.

Feb, March, April is my usual season. I get some great weather, then perhaps spend the day in the van with 50 mph (a guess) steady winds -- dustless because it was coming fresh through the western pass. But 2000 feet below me I could see dust being lifted into the air over the Valley (Stovepipe Wells far below me). Van was cross-way to the wind, slider-door open, beer in the cooler, and an active view for miles...sweet way to spend a day when the 8x10 or 11x14 would just be box kites. One of my nicest days in death Valley.

Camping at the base of the Eureka Valley Sand Dunes -- sometimes one just has to get away from the dunes until the wind drops.

Photo: Eureka Valley, 16x20 silver gelatin print from 4x5. In the print one can see the sand blowing off the top of the dunes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eureka Valley Sand Dunes, Death Valley, CA_16x20.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

I like to camp higher up. The Wildrose road is closed this year due to heavy snow. It can be cold up there, but what sunrises, especially from Augebery Point! I don't have the heat tolerance I once had, so anything past mid-spring is now uncomfortable to me in the Valley itself. Saline Valley is even more impressive to me than Death Valley; but I wonder how much of the road in has survived the flashfloods of the past two years. I assume every way in is closed this year, since even the paved routes into Death Valley per se just recently opened again. Heck, many of our own paved highways right around the Bay here are a mess at the moment.

.....Valley - whew! (for a second there I thought it might be an obit!)

Jeffery Dale Welker

Very formulaic videos. Most start with predawn tea at the back of his 4Runner. Lots of walking footage. Occasional self congratulation for picking up trash. Maybe it’s just me wanting to see more actual photography and less b-roll musings.
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison

Drew Wiley

Death Valley was an obituary for many a pioneer wagon that chose the desert route to the south of the Sierra rather than over some high pass. It earned its name. If the Donner Party had chosen that route, they would have eaten jerky instead !