Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire by Loupe?

Fire by Loupe?

Hello everybody,

maybe it is a stupid question but Im new in the LF world and Im looking for a 4x Loupe which I can carry around my neck when Im out in the field.

Is it necessary to have a protection cap on the upper und lower end of the loupe so that the sun will not burn a hole into your clothes?

It is just a thought but it was one of the first things that came to mind.

By the way: Are there any No-Gos for a loupe when it comes to get critical focus on the ground glass? (scratching the GG is one I guess)

I had one in mind from Nikon! -> LINK

Would there be anything that speaks against this loupe?

Thanks in advance!

Drew Wiley

Re: Fire by Loupe?

Ha! I guess if you're not moving at all, and just sitting there with the bright sun facing you. I've never heard of an incident. But I have known of numerous forest fires caused by a glass bottle laying in the grass. I don't typically have my own loupe out for long periods of time because I want it protected when not in actual use, just like any other lens. And focus loupes are typically longish opaque barrel things, and not like a simple flat meniscus magnifying glass - so are not ideal for some Boy Scout trick trying to start a fire without matches.

bigger problem is folks burning holes through their rangefinder Leica shutters - by leaving leaving their lens caps off! Happens!

Funny, I never really thought of that... I'm think I'm safe though, as it's usually in a breast pocket, with strap around my neck.

Drew Wiley

If you ALWAYS leave the cap on your rangefinder lens, you'll never need to worry about the sun, because every shot will be a night shot! I accidentally got a couple of those "night shots" with my Fuji 6X9 this past winter. It's easy to do with a rangefinder.

Fire by loupe?
    How cool is that?
    Got to love multi-tasking gear!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Melissen-Ghost View Post
    Hello everybody,

maybe it is a stupid question but Im new in the LF world and Im looking for a 4x Loupe which I can carry around my neck when Im out in the field.

Is it necessary to have a protection cap on the upper und lower end of the loupe so that the sun will not burn a hole into your clothes?

It is just a thought but it was one of the first things that came to mind.

By the way: Are there any No-Gos for a loupe when it comes to get critical focus on the ground glass? (scratching the GG is one I guess)

I had one in mind from Nikon! -> LINK

Would there be anything that speaks against this loupe?

Thanks in advance!
    The Nikon loupe you linked to is missing the opaque skirt needed for focusing on the groundglass. Carry the loupe in your breast pocket.

Kumar

That I knew . Well it would also fit for Pentax 67 users, since the Pentax also has a cloth shutter, right?

Thanks! I almost thought so. I guess the Nikon is also available with the opaque skirt.