Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dry Mount Press Cover?

Re: Dry Mount Press Cover?

I happily paid $200 for a LN 210m used carefully by a woman photographer

If fact I bought all her gear

I think we do a great disservice posting 'best deal ever'
    Tin Can

My scanner (V750), printer (3880) and screen (CG243) all have dust covers (double sided quilted black nylon) from Digital Decks Covers. I even have one for my keyboard (no idea why I ordered this one, a psychotherapist might come up with some interesting answers).

Haven't done dry mounting for ages (using Kodak tissue, felt like gluing with Araldit) and didn't know it was still done. I gave the press away to a gifted female photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Haven't done dry mounting for ages (using Kodak tissue, felt like gluing with Araldit) and didn't know it was still done. I gave the press away to a gifted female photographer.
    And it appears that she sold it to TIN CAN. You lost out on $200!

For those who have a cover for their dry mount press, or use a trash bag, what else do you have a cover for, or use a trash bag to cover? Do you have a cover for your coffee maker? Do you cover your TV with trash bags when you are not watching it? Do you cover the furniture in your guest room with sheets when no one is visiting? Always curious about human behavior. Clearly neatnik is a defined personality trait.

By the way, I Googled "coffee maker cover" and there are lots of them in all shapes and sizes. There are even coffee maker mats you can place under your coffee maker to protect your counter from your coffee maker. I didn't see any coffee maker mat mats to protect your counter from your coffee maker mat, but they probably have them. Or you could use a plastic bag.

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    For those who have a cover for their dry mount press, or use a trash bag, what else do you have a cover for, or use a trash bag to cover? Do you have a cover for your coffee maker? Do you cover your TV with trash bags when you are not watching it? Do you cover the furniture in your guest room with sheets when no one is visiting? Always curious about human behavior. Clearly neatnik is a defined personality trait.
    Good point, but I don't worry about dust in my coffee. It won't be around long enough to catch much. dust in my darkroom? That's another matter. Just because I can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there. Dust in/on my slide copier is a problem. Of course, I clean my slides, but covers help keep it in check. And dust on prints can come during enlargement or mounting. Not a total solution -- just an aid.

And no one has ever accused me of being a "clean freak". A "freak"? That's another story!

Drew Wiley

Hmmm - one might think of that 500T as an investment worth protecting, given how much they cost new today, way more than a 210M. Replacement pads and new thermostats are still available for these models if needed. The same presses might be sold by DK now, instead of Seal.

Drymounting is still the standard and most practical technique for mounting fiber based prints. There has been some temporary pandemic-related shortages in tissue availability lately. I now use Drytac Trimount, an excellent replacement for Seal Colormount.

And that reminds me. Other things can happen -- that are not dust related -- that can damage valuable equipment. My 500T is in my darkroom, in the basement, and happens to be directly under part of the exhaust pipe for the furnace. Several years ago there was a nasty storm and a little water managed to work its way down the exhaust pipe -- which ended up dripping onto my 500T. Fortunately, the plastic bag kept the press protected. One of my safe-lights wasn't so lucky. The water got into the drywall in the ceiling, loosening the screws, and the safe-light crashed to the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post

By the way, I Googled "coffee maker cover" and there are lots of them in all shapes and sizes. There are even coffee maker mats you can place under your coffee maker to protect your counter from your coffee maker. I didn't see any coffee maker mat mats to protect your counter from your coffee maker mat, but they probably have them. Or you could use a plastic bag.
    Dust in the press can be embedded or at least leave imperfections in a print. My darkroom is in a garage with a cantilevered door that can push dust and small dirt particles into the interior when being closed. I keep my enlarger, dry mount press, paper cutter and inkjet printer covered when they are not in use, other items such as tanks, gloves, negative carriers, lenses and unopened paper in drawers and plastic bins when practical.

Although I do not have the luxury of unused rooms, there is a tradition of covering furniture in unoccupied second (mand third, etc.) homes for reasons beyond compulsive behavior.

Only 2 covers in my life

One for BMW R/75 which I fully sprayed with WD40, then put a cover on in my backyard laying down

The snow drifted over it and Spring came again

then divorced

Next winter I rode it all Chicago winter

The Red Datsun also had a cover as the car had no top

When it rained I stopped, covered my lovely and I stood in the rain to save her

Second divorce

Marnie Fairlady SP310 1964 in 1994 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Apparently your problem was not getting a Digital Deck Cover for the wife! I know, I know. Not cheap, but worth every penny.