Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Panchromatic B/W contact paper ???

Re: Panchromatic B/W contact paper ???

But Azo has nothing to do with panchro.

Quote Originally Posted by joho View Post
    thanks for the input here !
    basic need in question is for a paper negative 8x10 and up to 16x20inchs that will be contacted.
    it is the contact paper which has the AZO look that I am interested in. And if the same paper would be as a [paper neg If it was panchromatic ]
    So a view that ilford digital would be a good paper neg. BUT R.C. --
    And I most likely I will have to take the road to make my own contact paper .... NEW THREAD....

Any way , It is sad there is no panchromatic paper to use as a paper neg !!!!
    not RC it comes in Fibre Base

I'm guessing any panchro paper is not going to be multigrade. MG uses different colors to get different contrast, so that's kinda incompatible with pan.

Why the need for a paper negative?

If one wants an orthochromatic product for making the negative, for the spectral differences or because one wants to process in red safelight, then ortho film is available in all relevant sizes. Might that not be a convenient solution for the problem ?

I wasn't aware that AZO was panchromatic. I recall treating it the same as ortho.
    Have you looked at Adox Lupex FB Contact printing paper?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I wasn't aware that AZO was panchromatic. I recall treating it the same as ortho.
    Have you looked at Adox Lupex FB Contact printing paper?
    Azo and all the other contact-speed chloroiodide papers are largely blue sensitive - you could dye sensitise them deeper into green or red, but Azo, Lupex, Lodima, Fomalux etc aren't. The poster is probably under the misleading impression that paper negs somehow offer a way to cheap out on materials.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    The poster is probably under the misleading impression that paper negs somehow offer a way to cheap out on materials.
    it depends on the paper.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    it depends on the paper.
    I don't think the OP is planning on handcoating on something like Ruscombe Calotype - I get every impression that this isn't about paper negs for the paper neg aesthetic (which would be the main reason to use them in the first place, I'd hope, not for fallacious cost reasons) but for cheapness.

An interesting off-the-shelf paper to use for (definitely non-panchro) paper negs would be something like Foma's Retrobrom as it claims a bromoiodide formulation and usable compatibility with film developers - it's a great print paper too (& takes ferricyanide pretty nicely), if you don't mind the slightly eccentric (but definitely not ahistoric - I think it was chosen because of a Sudek reference) base tint. Mind you, it would be useful (for various reasons) if somewhere like Adox was prepared to do a bottled film emulsion (in the manner of the Polywarmtone bottled emulsion) with a low ISO speed, perhaps with the option for dye sensitising etc left to the end user (though I can see potential problems with that).

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    I get every impression that this isn't about paper negs for the paper neg aesthetic (which would be the main reason to use them in the first place, I'd hope, not for fallacious cost reasons) but for cheapness.
    not everyone has the same reasons for using the materials they choose to use.

just a word of truth on the matter [for Interneg] no not for cheapness but here in Greece there is few papers to buy off the shelf.
    and as things get a bit rougher with the economy there is of less and less items to choose from, so the road to make hand made contact paper a one way street !
    Plus the esthetic side as a final image.
    ...Josef Sudek work which has that melancholy atmosphere is a part of Czech culture / and so do the photo papers from there.Attachment 237276
    see photo as to what I am doing, this is on 9x12 the idea is to work on camera 50 x 60 cm. [in the process of making one now]