Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations for LED array to replace Aristo Cold Light Head

Re: Recommendations for LED array to replace Aristo Cold Light Head

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    Recommend a Heiland LED module and SPL computer to drive it. Its pricy but worth every penny.
    Hi,
    I'm looking on the Catlabs site at the Heiland 8x10 LED Light Source. The price for the one I need is about $5000.00. I don't see anywhere on the site what the light output is. I saw that your signature on the site is Catlabs links, so I wondered if you can help.

Thanks!

Gary...I'm just at the beginning of the process of designing/building an 11x14 light source, and am going all over the place on this. I'm currently looking at the COB LED strips from Superbright (superbrightlighting.com), and am thinking of either interspersing red and green strips or just going with a single RGB strip. These strips come in long (appx. 16 foot) lengths, but can be cut to shorter lengths.

The Superbright website also lists a host of accessories, such as ac adapters, dimmers, switches, ect.

At any rate...I've also copied the instructions which Will Wilson refers to - and these look good but maybe too complex for my electrically challenged brain!

I do feel fortunate that my son, who has a graduate degree in electrical/computer engineering from Carnegie Mellon, has agreed to give me some help on this. He started building computers while in grade school - and ever since then I've been deferring to his expertise!

Why red strips? Those would be very inefficient. The best would probably be violet and green. I guess some red would be ok to use for seeing the image on the paper without causing much density change....Just my experience: getting low contrast results on the paper is easy. Getting above about grade 3.5 is harder. I would want my light source to be able to produce a lot of contrast, since mixing in the lower contrast can always lower it, and sometime the high contrast is really useful.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Drew Wiley

Aristo is still in business, but no longer making either cold lights or replacement grids. Whether they have any remaining V54 replacement grids or not would require a phone call.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...B1L67ULU3&th=1

Price is way down

I will buy for wall light in my studio

Standard 1-10 v dimmer

3 color
    Tin Can

In 2018 I bought what may have been the last two tubes (1 blue 1 green) for the Aristo 8x10 VC head.... I have not gotten around to installing them in my hand-me-down Aristo head.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com