Thread: Rodenstock APO Geragon for enlarging

Rodenstock APO Geragon for enlarging

I posted this on Photrio and go no responses, so I'll ask here.

I know the Geragons are process lenses optimized for 1:1 at small apertures. Has anyone been using one for enlarging? If so, besides the slow speed and best stopped down to f22 for printing, how well do they do, or do they not work for enlarging at all?

Re: Rodenstock APO Geragon for enlarging

It's quite hard to find a datasheet on them, but I believe they are like a Schneider G-Claron.
    There's some previous discussions, eg :
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...O-Gerogon-lens

They are therefore optimum for up to 3X enlargement, probably a bit more that that if you are not using thw hole field. However aperture will be limited. What neg size and enlargement are you looking at ?
    I'm assuming you already own the lens - otherwise there must be plenty of Rodagons around that would be a better buy ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark J View Post
    It's quite hard to find a datasheet on them, but I believe they are like a Schneider G-Claron.
    There's some previous discussions, eg :
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...O-Gerogon-lens

They are therefore optimum for up to 3X enlargement, probably a bit more that that if you are not using thw hole field. However aperture will be limited. What neg size and enlargement are you looking at ?
    I'm assuming you already own the lens - otherwise there must be plenty of Rodagons around that would be a better buy ?
    Yes, I picked up a 135mm at a great price because that is a focal length I use to make 8x10 prints from medium format (3-4x enlargement) quite often, so I don't use the entire field of the lens. I thought it might be sharper than the Schneider Companion S I have been using. I haven't tried it yet as I am waiting for the lens mount for my Omega D5XL.

I agree with Mark -- much depends on how large you want prints. You might be surprised -- pleasantly!

I doubt that it will match what you get from the Schneider Componon-S, assuming that's the correct one for the format. But all experiments like this are educational, I'm all in favour of that !

I found my 210mm Apo-Gerogon to be sharper in the corners of 8x10" format than G-Claron.

But I also found it not critically sharp until f11+2/3, or around two steps down from the largest aperture.

My sharpest 210mm could be the Macro-Sironar-N.

Do test to see if you have a bad example of either.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/470525...57634939838558

Sent fra min SM-S901B via Tapatalk