Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cost of Upgrading (4x5- 8x10)

Cost of Upgrading (4x5- 8x10)

Hey, gang
    I have been wondering about the cost of upgrading from a 4x5 system to an 8x10 system. Or, rather, keeping my 4x5 system and adding an 8x10 system to it. I have a Sinar F2 right now, a spot meter, big tripod, big head, large dark cloth, most of the accessories I'd need to shoot 8x10 for my 4x5 already. I'd really only need an 8x10 back, a couple film holders, larger bellows (Why doesn't Sinar make colourful bellows?? I'd buy one in a heartbeat.) and a larger dark bag, right? Should I consider selling my 4x5 F2 and getting one in 8x10, and then using a reducing back when I want to shoot 4x5?
    The biggest issue for me was the cost of switching, on top of the cost of film, but I recently discovered a good source for x-ray film and I think I'd like to do it again. Anyways, is it worth it? Should I just save up and buy a designated 4x5 system? Sell the 4x5 and buy a P2 with both backs?

Thanks,
    John P. Garriga

Re: Cost of Upgrading (4x5- 8x10)

Will you need additional lenses to match your 4x5" format AND have 8x10" coverage???

Do you do your own processing and enlarging AND have that gear for 8x10"???

You can invest in to Sinar 8x10 conversion kit, few holders for that format and one decent lens for 8x10 within a budget of 2K. You’ll be limited much in mobility and focal lenght.
    If this set up is not for you, resale is always an option.

There are a lot of threads here in this forum according your questions.
    I made a bid on 5x7, just because it significant change in format to me in comparison to 4x5 and it much less costly than 8x10 especially if we talk about lenses.

The Sinar conversion kits work best with a dedicated 8x10 rear standard.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I had an F2 and P2 and did the conversion. The cost wasn't in the conversion but instead the lenses and film, holders and processing equipment. I now shoot only field cameras and have both 8x10 and 4x5 so studio camera costs may be different.

Thanks @bmikiten! I actually have a 210mm lens that I'd be using, that I like very much so far. I currently don't do my own processing but I'm working towards it. I'd probably just go with an agi-tank or do tray development. About how much was the conversion itself? I mentioned I'd mostly be using x-ray film for cheap portraiture work with this.

Quote Originally Posted by John Patrick Garriga View Post
    Thanks @bmikiten! I actually have a 210mm lens that I'd be using, that I like very much so far. I currently don't do my own processing but I'm working towards it. I'd probably just go with an agi-tank or do tray development. About how much was the conversion itself? I mentioned I'd mostly be using x-ray film for cheap portraiture work with this.
    In all seriousness, if jumping to 8x10 really demands that you scrape the barrel for the cheapest possible film (which is not in any sense intended for regular still camera use), you should reconsider your quality priorities (relative to format envy).

I found the easy (but painful) way to move up to 8x10 was to have my 5x7 gear stolen -- then use the insurance money,plus some extra, to go to 8x10. All my 4x5 stuff was being used for the 5x7 kit.

Have fun working with x-ray...it is cool. Fun and easy. You can work under red safe lights as you get use to 8x10. I found the double-sided emulsion of most x-ray films to give me a slightly soft image when contacting for some alt. processes. Since you have worked with 4x5 film, you will be able to compare it with x-ray. Both FP4+ and HP5+ are fine films.

I found going from 4x5 to 5x7 very easy. Going from 5x7 to 8x10 felt to be a much bigger jump. Have fun!

Below...Bryce on 8x10 x-ray film processed at the hospital. Platinum/palladium print. (ps -- red pants!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bryce, 8x10P.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    In all seriousness, if jumping to 8x10 really demands that you scrape the barrel for the cheapest possible film (which is not in any sense intended for regular still camera use), you should reconsider your quality priorities (relative to format envy).
    I like this argument, because I’m still on the fence for a long time to once ever work with 8x10. But what about wet plate photography? 4x5 is a quite small endproduct if I want to go further in that direction. Or would you solve that with ADD, making a digital copy and printing it digitally?

John,

I am a Sinar shooter in 4x5, 5x7 (which I use for 6x17) and 8x10. The real question is why do you want to move to 8x10? Are you printing extremely (in the area of 5' x 8') large? Do you need it for alt process? If you are shooting large format and then scanning you can make huge prints from a 4x5 negative.

Moving to 8x10 is crazy expensive, burdensome and limits you in movements due to the massive image circle you need from lenses to cover the format. If you want it for the quality that comes from such a large negative you will lose much of that by using x-ray film. You mentioned that you are still working towards getting your processing going. If I were you I would invest in making your 4x5 Sinar kit meet your needs and spend the money you save on a Jobo processor with a 3010 drum.

-Joshua