Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Beacon Enlarger

Kodak Beacon Enlarger

This one may be of technical interest to some of you. Maybe there is even someone on this forum who worked with some of this kit ?

35 years ago when I started work, I remember being fascinated by a conference proceedings ( SPIE ) from the early-1980's on the subject of High-Altitude Standoff Reconnaissance.
    This was just at the very advent of electronic sensors. hence many of the papers were still talking about the current high-end limits of film reconnaissance. There was a very interesting paper by Frank Gorman entitled 'The Hurdles to ... ( as above ) '. In it he documented many aspects of the process, a listing of some of the films used, camera pods, film magazines, focusing, gamma curves, ground resolution results from different distances etc.
    There was a sentence that intrigued me, which I was not able to follow-up at that time, before the internet :
    "With the exception of the very elegant Kodak Beacon Enlarger, there are few systems capable of handling enlargements from large, truly high-resolution negatives "
    In this context, he was talking about 9" wide roll film, of emulsions like 3414, or SO(special Order)-415 , which in the latter case could resolve 440 cycles/mm at 1.6/1 contrast !

Just today, I re-read that paper and went looking, and hit a great link.
    I haven't by any means read this whole document about Project 'Bridgehead', but it looks fascinating.
    There is a small chapter on the Kodak Beacon Enlarger on page 118 of the document :

https://www.nro.gov/Portals/65/docum...%20Company.pdf

Gorman obviously loved his job. He took relish in pointing out that a 9" frame of SO-415 could record information at the rate of 1 Tera-bit per second !

Re: Kodak Beacon Enlarger

We had Beacon Precision Enlargers at the Defense Intelligence Agency in the early '90s. With the liquid gate, they could enlarge up to 150x and were pretty cool to work with.

Well, this is interesting. I worked for Eastman Kodak (and later, ITT Space Systems) on these programs from 1984-2010. I used the Beacon Precision Enlarger, and trained US gov't personnel how to operate it, during most of that time. I made the first two photographs on the cover of that pdf... and helped assemble an early version of it in 2009. I have an early edition, and look forward to reading this expanded version. Thanks for digging it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Well, this is interesting. I worked for Eastman Kodak (and later, ITT Space Systems) on these programs from 1984-2010. I used the Beacon Precision Enlarger, and trained US gov't personnel how to operate it, during most of that time. I made the first two photographs on the cover of that pdf... and helped assemble an early version of it in 2009. I have an early edition, and look forward to reading this expanded version. Thanks for digging it up!
    I find this old stuff incredibly interesting. In the credits I noticed a Mark Sampson in there!

Well, that would be me. It's possible that I taught our own djdister back in the day... Of course most of this stuff was extremely secret at the time. What we see here has been declassified. It's a bit odd, but enjoyable, to see published what could never be mentioned before.

It's so cool to get some connection to this subject, thanks for your replies, fellas.
    I will start reading the report in earnest tomorrow.
    I wonder who designed the enlarging lenses ? ( my pet subject ... )

We had a lot of the equipment shown in that booklet, right in DC. Aside from the BEEP (as we called 'em) I recall the viscous Fultron long-roll processor, which used developer that was like 10W40 motor oil.

And then digital imaging changed the scene...

What was the liquid gate?

I was hoping for a bacon enlarger...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    What was the liquid gate?
    See numbered page 43 in the referenced document.