Thread: Danny Burk's LF Workshop

Danny Burk's LF Workshop

The week before last, I attended Danny's LF workshop in the Smokies. Being a total LF newbie, I signed up for both the intro to LF and the full week of shooting the Smokies.

We had a small group for the whole thing, five students total. The first week, of course we spent learning to use the LF cameras. There were some lectures, but it was for the most part practical in nature, so it didn't take very long to get a handle on the basics.

The shooting part was the fun part, naturally. We got up early every morning, though most of our sunrises were rained out. The weather was pretty wild; rain one hour, sunshine the next; even so, we found lots of opportunities to shoot. Danny mostly left his toys in the car, and only pulled them out on occassion when he found something that was particularly unique or rare that he wanted to shoot. Danny was very patient, answering a lot of questions, helping with exposure and critiquing my compositions on my groundglass constantly. He let me use some of his lenses quite often as well, getting me addicted to the Nikon 720mm, and even found someone who was interested in selling one (I haven't heard back from him since I got back, so I hope he hasn't changed his mind.)

I got my slides back from the lab Friday evening, and I was very pleased with the results. There were a few shots that I took while Danny was assisting others, some of which I was certain that I had overexposed... but most of them came out looking good also, which I guess means that Danny taught me well

Unfortunately, my lab doesn't do 4x5 color negs, so I haven't gotten the two sheets of NPS that Danny gave me processed yet.

So now I'm addicted to LF, and have no regrets about choosing an Ebony. And I can't wait to get back out and do some more shooting with it, once I get my Quickload holder fixed or replaced.

Danny Burk's LF Workshop

Welcome to the world of large format. Here is some reading that might be helpful

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone

Large Format nature Photography by Jack Dykinga

Using the View Camera that I wrote.

Try your local Library

If you are withing striking range of the mid-west there is a large format conferecne in Rockford, IL (one hour outside Chicago). There is a free trade show and lots of people to answer questions. The conferecne is June 9-11 at the Best Western Clocktower Resort.

There are several free articles to help beginners on the view camera web page

www.viewcamera.com and then go to Free Articles

Good Luck

steve simmons

Danny Burk's LF Workshop

Thanks for the good words, Rakesh!
    Visit www.dannyburk.com for fine photography galleries, drum scanning, instructional workshops and Photoshop tutorial, tips and more

Danny Burk's LF Workshop

I have to second the workshop! I attended only the Intro to LF workshop the weekend prior and found it to be immensely useful in solidifying my understanding of the camera.

Now my lab had only processed my film correctly...

Danny Burk's LF Workshop

Hey Danny - When is the next Intro class and where? I'm in Spokane and would love to look at going to this when I get my 45SU.

Ben Chase

http://www.benchasephoto.com

Danny Burk's LF Workshop

Here is a link to Danny's website:

http://www.dannyburk.com

Look under workshops.

Danny Burk's LF Workshop

Steve:
    Thanks for the suggestions. Jack Dykinga's book is actually what got me started on all of this

Danny:
    You earned it
    I'll see what I can get out of my scanner to send you.

Danny Burk's LF Workshop

If anyone has attempted to send email since yesterday (Monday), please try again - I've discovered that a server problem was blocking incoming mail. Thanks!
    Visit www.dannyburk.com for fine photography galleries, drum scanning, instructional workshops and Photoshop tutorial, tips and more