Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flat Prints

Re: Flat Prints

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I was getting that cracking along the edge when heat flattening this winter. I treated the dry prints to some steam along the edges before putting them in the heated press and I think it solved the problem.
    YES! .... and I find that soaking them in warm water and smoothing the edges by had against the tray bottom before drying can help too. But we shouldn't have to resort to these measures.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post

On the statement about paper sucking up moister on the edge of the roll, paper is manufactured in large, wide rolls and later cut to smaller sheet sizes so that possibility would be pretty rare.
    IF the cutter, probably a wheel, is dull, the edge gets 'micro-torn' and that could help it suck up moisture unevenly.

But this is a two-fold problem, I thinhk.
    First is the un-even air drying and contorted bending and Second is the wrinkling when it goes in the press. I've been from 30 sec to 6 minutes with little difference.

This is a TEMPERMENTAL PRODUCT ! (maybe others are the same?)

thx!

Quote Originally Posted by ASA1000 View Post
    This is a TEMPERMENTAL PRODUCT !
    It really isn't - if you don't dessicate it by drying it in an environment that has far too low an RH. This has always been the case - it's just that many indoor environments are far lower in RH today than in the past.

In a dry environment, perhaps try drying on/between doubled screens until almost dry, then put under weight (no heat).
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I am experiencing the same type of curling on the currently available Ilford FB paper. I now press them in the dry-mounting press for a lot longer (10-15 minutes). The older paper was flat in about 5 minutes.

The weird thing is that it doesn't happen on all the papers (same box). This weekend I printed about 12 11x14's and one took way longer to flatten. They were all processed, washed and dried at the end of the day and in the same way. I am wondering whether the one that took longest to flatten was in the water bath the longest... not sure but I am now going to track it just out of curiosity.
    I have a two-inch white border but it's still annoying when it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    ...It’s too bad Ilford RC Portfolio isn’t available in matte (and is currently only available in that awful pearl finish for some reason). It’s a beautiful double weight RC with a very similar emulsion to the current MG Classic FB...
    There's no accounting for taste. I agree that Multigrade RC Portfolio is a beautiful double-weight RC paper for negatives that don't have "hot" high values, i.e. those like what I've always worked to produce. However, my preference is for black and white prints, not grey and white prints. That's why I could never stand matt papers: they can't make black. I find Ilford's Pearl surface to be the best RC finish available to anyone who misses older, pre- "shiny object" air-dried glossy fiber papers. It's my only acceptable option today. Other than, perhaps a dye inkjet print on Hahnemuhle FineArt Baryta Satin.

If you want flat prints, but don't want to invest in a dry mount press, then one of the plastic papers may be your only option.

This seems to be a bigger problem than the usual one with fiber-base papers. Has anyone contacted Ilford about this? I would think they would want to know and would also go about finding a solution if, indeed, the problem has to do with paper stock or manufacturing processes.

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    If you want flat prints, but don't want to invest in a dry mount press, then one of the plastic papers may be your only option.
    The OP is having the wrinkling problem after the print is flattened in his dry mount press as are members at Harvey Milk Photo Center. It not a matter not wanting to invest in a dry mount press. The problem is why does this happen and only on one side of the print and only on some of the sheets of paper out of the same box. There has also be mention of low humidity but that’s certainly not a problem here in San Francisco. Harvey Milk has contacted Ilford about the problem, I be there this week and will check and see if they got a reply.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    It really isn't - if you don't dessicate it by drying it in an environment that has far too low an RH. This has always been the case - it's just that many indoor environments are far lower in RH today than in the past.
    I agree, nothing wrong with the paper just the usage of it in dry conditions, this has always been the case for silver gelatin paper. To the OP have you taken a reading of the humidity levels in the space you are working? I suspect the RH is low .