Thread: Mystery E&HT Anthony View Camera - Almost 8x10

Question Mystery E&HT Anthony View Camera - Almost 8x10

Hi all - long time lurker and first-time poster. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on what this might be, if anyone's so inclined to offer very-appreciated support. A friend gave me an ancestor's beautiful, very well-cared for view camera. It appears to be an E&HT Anthony Clifton 8x10. Except it's not exactly 8x10 - the ground glass measures 7 3/4 x 9 5/8 inches. I cannot find information on a Clifton model this large - the Clifton long focus came in 8x10, however this one lacks any rail extension, so I don't think it's the long-focus model. It just barely doesn't fit an 8x10 holder - like it's not just a matter of a tight fit, it truly does not fit an 8x10 holder by about an 8th of an inch. I'm curious if this may have been manufactured with some kind of off-size E&HT Anthony holder that fit 8x10 sheet film/plates, or if it was some other historic size that I'm just not able to find any information about. If it is some kind of custom Anthony holder size, does anyone have any suggestions on where I might obtain one, or have one made? I make my own lens boards out of matboard, but film holders are far beyond my capabilities. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Julius
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8625.jpg   IMG_8622.jpg   IMG_8623.jpg   IMG_8624.jpg   IMG_8626.jpg  

IMG_8627.jpg   IMG_8629.jpg   IMG_8628.jpg  

Re: Mystery E&HT Anthony View Camera - Almost 8x10

The ground glass measurments are veryclose tothose of my modern 8x10 Wehman.

That's great to know, thanks for that! And kinda reinforces the idea that it is indeed an 8x10 camera, but had a custom or pre-standardization size for the external dimensions of the film holder. The slot for the film holder is exactly 9" on the short end.

I once owned and used a similar camera. The manufacture's name I can't exactly remember... the name "Victor" or "Vincent" comes to mind. It came with two OEM wooden holders that 8x10 sheets of film did fit into, but the holders would not fit inside the back of a modern 8x10.

Ah how reassuring, thanks for that! Any chance you have some idea of where one might look for holders like that? I have a feeling there probably isn't a single place but that I'll just have to keep an eye out on ebay and cross my fingers when ordering something, but I'd take any leads!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

You may be able to shim or trim a standard 8x10 holder to make it fit, but check the focus registration.

BTW, there's a group of LF/wet plate/alt process photographers that gets together in Tucson for coffee every Monday morning at 10. Savaya's Coffee near Ft. Lowell & Swan. You're more than welcome to join us!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Oh wow - Mark that's great to hear! I think I actually have your card in a drawer, if I recall I met you at one of the camera shows in town years ago. I can't make it this Monday but will definitely come out!

Julius