Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Credibility of Retailer (Tokyo's Map Camera)

Credibility of Retailer (Tokyo's Map Camera)

They have an english homepage, but for some reason its not coming up this morning. The best way is probably to either send them an email or a FAX. I usually just visit thier store when I am in Tokyo, which is usually once a month or so. If you would like I can send them an email or call them today?

Gary

Your willingness to call the store would be great, Gary! I just need to know the best way to place an order, it sounds like using a fax would be best unless you can find out about the web-address of their English webpage. And thanks again for any help you can offer here.

Oren: I completely agree with you about the ridiculousness of how difficult it is to get "into" a Japanese camera store over the net. But for that matter, you'd think that a small company like Horseman with distribution problems in the US would see the wisdom in promoting ease of access to their products over the web.

Tom, there's a small link that says "ENGLISH" among the fine print near the top of the home page at www.mapcamera.com. The problem is that, at least at the moment, it just brings up more pages that are mostly Japanese...

Oops - scratch that. I just went over to check this again while I was writing this post, and now the link opens a new window with a welcome in English and a query form that you can fill out to request information. Looks like it's worth a try...

But there is no e-mail address on the page that comes up from clicking the link on www.mapcamera.com. There is, however, an e-mail address on www.rakuten.co.jp/mapcamera/, namely rakuten-at-mapcamera.com. Shall we hope that the will answer mail to that address??
    Hening

Oh, sorry, I failed to scroll and did not see the query form!
    Hening

The last piece of correspondence I received from Maps was from Koichiro Tajima (rakuten-182490-304995@m.mapcamera.com) of their International Division.

The correspondence began by my fumbling across the Japanese site blindfolded and eventually filling out something which I was praying was a query form (and praying I would receive a reply in English). Both prayers were answered rather quickly.

So far I've been receiving replies from Maps within 24 hours and now have all the details necessary to submit an order. Basically, you need to send a fax to +81-3-3342-3426 with your credit card and contact details, and then you will have a chance to confirm your order once they determine the shipping costs.

Could anyone please confirm if there are any hidden costs of importing a Japanese camera into the US? Does the Japanese seller need to provide any 'proof of country of origin' forms for one to be able to avoid paying duties or taxes in the US?

Regards,

Jaroslaw

This document might be of interest:

U.S. Customs: Internet Purchases.

The section entitled "Postal Service, Couriers and Freight" appears particularly relevant.

The inquiry form on their web site did not work for me. I tried both Mac and Windows. After filling the form and clicking "next", a new window comes up, obviously intended to have me check what I entered, since the last line says "If the above contents are correct, please click a send button." But all the fields are empty. And clicking the "next" button has no effect at all.

So I sent POP mail to the 2 addresses mentioned in my post above, plus to Koichiro Tajima (rakuten-182490-304995-at-m.mapcamera.com).

That was using the "English" link on TOP of the page. Afterwards, I tried the "English" button at the BOTTOM of the page, and that worked! - I have sent them a mail making them aware of this.

Kind regards -
    Hening

Thank you very much, Hening, for discovering the English link at the bottom of their webpage. I had the same thing happen to me that happened to you using the English link at the top of the page. But the bottom one did work. So let's hope I now get a reply.

Have you gotten a reply by emailing Koichiro Tajima directly? If so, I may well try that next.

thanks again!

--"Have you gotten a reply by emailing Koichiro Tajima directly? If so, I may well try that next"--

Well, not yet, but I just mailed friday or saturday, so I do not exspect an answer befor say tuesday.

Kind regards -
    Hening