Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Omega F 8x10 enlarger

Re: Omega F 8x10 enlarger

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    For Carl J, Here’s a pic of the relay wired up. It is different than the pic you posted. Note that you will need a male plug end for the “wall outlet” cord and the “to timer” cord and a female plug on the “enlarger power supply” cord as shown in my rough drawing above. I hope this helps. Here’s a link to the one I have. https://www.mcmaster.com/7384K21/
    That picture helps a lot. As well as the advice to wire as normally open.

ic-racer: There wasn't any information about wiring included (no PDF). All I have is what's on the product page (URL above), which wasn't much.

Erik: curiously, that McMaster-Carr link takes me to the power relay I have which, as you say, looks slightly different than yours but I guess they're considered functionally the same (design has changed slightly?). I started to read up on power relays (and reading a bit on the post #12 link about how contacter's work) but quickly realized my understanding wasn't enough to figure it out on my own.

Not a lot of info out there on the Super Chromega F's and the drawings, photo's, advice re. wiring up to use more modern timers are much appreciated.

Hi Erik, might it be possible to post a photo of your box when you get the ground wire attached?

Thanks

I hope you get the wiring figured out for your relay box. I also have a Chromega F with the color head- I have not yet bothered to attach and use it. I did do a CLA a few years ago and repaired some switches and burned wires in the power supply box. I was also concerned about the 1000w power requirements. I dug around in some of my darkroom boxes and found that the Time-O-Lite timer is rated for 1000w, so my concerns ended there. I looked on eBay- there is a Time-O-Lite darkroom timer Model P-59, rated at 1000w, $28. If you for some reason need something more modern you can certainly build the relay box to use any timer. I don't plan on shooting any 8X10 color either. I bought an LED light panel and replaced the condenser head with it- obviously one can use any timer one likes with such a low power need.

Hi Bruce,

Good to hear from you. Recalling your setup from the photrio.com thread. Sounds like the Time-O-Lite might be another alternative -- I recall reading a bit about them but thought it might be nice to have a few more features. Out of curiosity I may try hooking one up. I think we have one in the group darkroom (not sure which model) where I have the Super Chromega F housed. FWIW, even though the Super Chromega was too big for my on-the-fly, improvised, home darkroom (and I essentially bought it on faith I'd find a home -- but which turned out to be more challenging than I thought -- esp. as Covid hit) I wasn't going to let it get away seeing how scarce 8x10 enlargers have become.

It's been several months and wish I could say I'd wired up the power relay but one complicating factor I hadn't taken into account, I think. And that is the enlarger has the Power Lift controller (motorized focus of the head) and the wiring seems a bit different than what's described in the manual (and what anyone has referred to here) for connecting to the power relay or voltage regulator. Mine has what appears to be 4-way junction box(?) in between the power supply and the existing EPOI 1000w timer.

This junction(?) box has '1000 watt' silkscreened on top (no distinguishing model numbers) and the following connections:

- line in from the power supply, labeled ‘Safelight' (female connector)
    - line in from the Power Lift motorized controller (female connector)
    - hard line to the wall/power strip
    - hard-wired line labeled ‘Safelight’ going to the timer

I'll try to include a couple of pictures of the connections. I haven't tried opening the actual box itself and taking a look inside.

A bit confused as to how the power relay would connect to this junction box?

In the meantime I did find an old Zone VI Heavy Duty timer rated at 1000w (enlarger is located in a group darkroom) which I hooked up last weekend and it is at least accurate (compared to the EPOI).

Thanks