Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Omega F 8x10 enlarger

Fine Art & Architect

Omega F 8x10 enlarger

Just wondering if anyone else has one
    I have one.. had to remove the base and cut a couple of inches off main rail so it would fit in basement
    it has the Chromega head. Had to take the head apart to do a CL&A
    it is a nice piece of equipment and the price was right.

Re: Omega F 8x10 enlarger

When I lived in Chicago I had a big DR and almost got an F

Circa 2012

I gave away my Chromega and have forgot...who
    Tin Can

I used one occasionally when I worked in a custom lab 40 years ago, a fine machine. And compact for an 8x10 enlarger, too.
    I assume that yours has the Super-Chromega dichroic head that uses 4 ELC lamps? Years later at Kodak I used a 10x10 Fotar with that head on top- a real monster, that was.
    The instructions back than told you to replace all four lamps if one failed, an expensive fix. I suppose that was to ensure color consistency, likely not an issue with B&W. Have fun!

If you need any help Kevin at KHB is the greatest. He sells parts and has about one of everything they ever made in a hanger. Most friendly and super helpful.

http://www.khbphotografix.com/
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I have a few pictures of them in my large format enlarger archive. Do you have the owner's manual with schematic of the power supply? If not I can e-mail it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Omega F.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	235993

Name:	EnlargerInAmerica.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	235994

Also, I just replaced the glass in my Durst negative carrier. It was kind of a big deal as it is 3mm. KHB only had 2mm glass But they did indicate the Omega F used only 2mm glass and they do have replacement glass for your enlarger, if you need or want spare glass.

When I got my enlarger in 2008, I wanted spare glass but kept putting it off as I had a list of Four places which supplied replacement 10x10 AN glass. I thought I could order some any time if I broke or scratched a piece.

Fast forward to 2023 and all 4 places are either out of business, or don't supply 3mm 10x10 AN glass any more. The place I finally located had a $650 dollar minimum and was unable to bevel the glass to fit my negative carrier.

I have one w/Dichroic head and am trying to figure out (have questions) how to wire a power-relay to use with a modern timer. What kind of timer are you using with yours?

See: https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread.../#post-2101596

Mine came without a baseboard so I'm improvising for now. I like that drop-table setup in ic-racer's post (can't tell from the photo if that has the standard base or if attached to the drop-table).

Nice to see they are still well-regarded even if not that common. Yes, KHB is a good resource.

Fine Art & Architect

ya, I think you right on replacing the lamps. I just print B&W. so not real important to replace all at same time. they put out alot of heat. it has a fan set up for that, to vent off heat

Fine Art & Architect

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I have a few pictures of them in my large format enlarger archive. Do you have the owner's manual with schematic of the power supply? If not I can e-mail it.

Name:	Omega F.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	235993

Name:	EnlargerInAmerica.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	235994
    I see that's the condenser model. that would be nice to have a schematic, email: Dogle7351@aol.com
    Thhank you, Dave

Fine Art & Architect

simpson Omega. older enlarger timer. 750 watts. not sure if I have lamp in there or not for the cyan filters. I don't need it but I guess it would work with out it, but there would be less power draw and less heat. not enough room, height wise, for base. have it mounted to wall with eyelets and turn buckels for ajustments.