Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ULF film holder protection

ULF film holder protection

I am putting together a 7x17 outfit. What do you ULF film shooters use to carry/protect your ULF film holders?

John

I use Strebor padded septums with velcro closure tabs but there are many readily available options for a waterproof "fabric" that can be combined with a thin padding that would work just fine. Look in the phone book for a trade or opportunity school in your area that may already have the heavy duty sewing machines and the skills to make the side stitches to put the protective sleeves together for you at very reasonable costs. You may have to search and pay for the materials which is no big deal. Welcome to ULF!

Cheers!

I don't use ULF, but Kevin Saitta on APUG has these to offer that are custom made. Not cheap, but ULF holders aren't either..
    www.kjsphotography.com/products/product.php?id=22&PHPSESSID=e6c40677128c7c09b45ae19dddeb14f5
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

I keep my 12x20s in cotton(muslin? percale?) dust proof pillowcase liners from Wa-Wa-Walmart inside the the box my 12x20 F&S came in
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I carry three holders in a home-made cotton pouch like Gnass pouches, with an aluminium piece sewed inside to rigidify and a handle on the long side. Drawbacks, it's not padded (not really a problem) and not waterproof, more annoying in wet grass or on wet ground. I plan to buy a Saitta's bag for two holders one of these days, asking Kevin to add a handle on the long side.

Jimmy

Terence

Regarding what Michael said, look for a local cobbler to sew the pads together. I've used them to repair packs, etc all the time. They have heavy sewing machines and the right kinds of thread/cable.

Try AWB Enterprises. Well made, good looking, but not cheap,....but then neither are the holders!

His web site www.filmholders.com

I've been storing my 5x12 holders inside a laptop bag.

Each of my outfits goes into a single case or pack that has a separate compartment where the holders go. For the formats larger than 5x7, there's room for either three or four holders, depending on the format. The holders are just stuffed into the space together - I don't use separate pouches for each.

To be more specific, my main 7x17 outfit currently lives in an elongated Tenba air case that was intended for lighting. It's just the right size to hold camera, three holders, a BTZS hood, and up to a few lenses, how many depending on whether I'm using big modern plasmats or smaller process lenses.