Thread: Adding Arca Swiss set frame 5x7" to 4x5"

Adding Arca Swiss set frame 5x7" to 4x5"

Hi all
    I have got a F-Metric 4x5" and I would like to ass the set 5x7".
    I was originally going to add 8x10" but the system in too bulky for me so I gave up.
    Maybe the 5x7" experience could be a good one, the format ratio is quite interesting.
    The issue is that I have an L1200 so I can print max 4x5".
    So even for 5x7" I am coucious to do the next step.
    How would you manage the film 5x7"?
    Thanks
    Mario

Inviato dal mio RMX3241 utilizzando Tapatalk
    Mario

Re: Adding Arca Swiss set frame 5x7" to 4x5"

The 5x7 format metric conversion set is here.
    https://www.arca-shop.de/en/cameras/...etric-5x7?c=66

Konakoa uses the 5x7 arca swiss camera.
    He might chime in to answer your questions.

Ponder what possible advantages moving from 4x5 to 5x7 or 8x10 might bring to your image making.. The image quality improvement possible from 4x5 to 5x7 can be significant, image quality improvement from 5x7 to 8x10 is much less.

Moving to 8x10 brings on a completely different and deeper set of overall issues, Majority of your current lens set does not have sufficient image circle for 8x10, majority of them do for 5x7.

Image circle at f22 = *

- Rodenstock Grandagon-N 90mm 6.8 = 221mm*
    - Schneider Super-Symmar XL 110mm = 288mm*
    - Rodenstock Apo Sironar-S 150mm = 231mm*
    - Schneider Apo Symmar L 180mm = 277m*
    - Rodenstock Apo Sironar-S 210mm = 316mm*
    - Nikkor M 300mm = 320mm*
    - Fujinon T400mm = 220mm*

Image circle needed for 5x7 = 210mm
    Image circle needed for 8x10 = 312mm

The overall outfit size including film holders for 5x7 is not that much larger/heavier than 4x5, this is MUCH larger and heavier for 8x10..

Enlarger is another issues, Durst 138 or DeVere 507 does nicely for 5x7 or 13x18cm in a manageable size..
    Once into 8x10, enlargers like the Durst 184 or DeVere 5108 are no longer easily to manage due to their size and all related.
    8x10 makes nice contact prints.

As for 5x7 sheet film, not that different than sheet film sizes larger than 4x5, it is available on order, then keep an inventory in cold storage to be used as needed.

Again, the question is what might going up in sheet film format gain for your image making trading off the other factors involved. Keep in mind larger sheet film is not always or generally better.. It is image goals dependent.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Fermat View Post
    Hi all
    I have got a F-Metric 4x5" and I would like to ass the set 5x7".
    I was originally going to add 8x10" but the system in too bulky for me so I gave up.
    Maybe the 5x7" experience could be a good one, the format ratio is quite interesting.
    The issue is that I have an L1200 so I can print max 4x5".
    So even for 5x7" I am coucious to do the next step.
    How would you manage the film 5x7"?
    Thanks
    Mario

umop episdn

Fermat, Mario, I have a 5x7 Arca. If there’s something I help with, I’d be glad to do so on it. For what it’s worth I like the camera and format so much so that I bought a second Arca 5x7 camera to have two of them. (Hello mhayashi!)

A few quick thoughts I wished to share: the aspect ratio of 5x7 is wider than 4x5, and reminds me very much of 35mm. The image area of 4x5 and 8x10 are much blockier and square shaped. The other plus; all my 4x5 lenses work just fine on 5x7. The primary feature though is the image shape of 5x7. It really is nice. The camera isn’t all that bigger than a 4x5 nor much heavier. It’s just right.

Printing—I invested in a Zone VI enlarger that can handle 5x7 film and even upgraded it with a drop-type table for the extra magnification it needed (tabletop really does not work, not enough height) and a Heiland LED light source. However I’ve yet to really start using it as I’m quite content with the contact prints from the camera. They’re so nice hand held.

I also have a Arca 8x10 Misura, but my hands down favorite is the 5x7 Arca.

Quote Originally Posted by konakoa View Post
    Fermat, Mario, I have a 5x7 Arca. If there’s something I help with, I’d be glad to do so on it. For what it’s worth I like the camera and format so much so that I bought a second Arca 5x7 camera to have two of them. (Hello mhayashi!)

A few quick thoughts I wished to share: the aspect ratio of 5x7 is wider than 4x5, and reminds me very much of 35mm. The image area of 4x5 and 8x10 are much blockier and square shaped. The other plus; all my 4x5 lenses work just fine on 5x7. The primary feature though is the image shape of 5x7. It really is nice. The camera isn’t all that bigger than a 4x5 nor much heavier. It’s just right.

Printing—I invested in a Zone VI enlarger that can handle 5x7 film and even upgraded it with a drop-type table for the extra magnification it needed (tabletop really does not work, not enough height) and a Heiland LED light source. However I’ve yet to really start using it as I’m quite content with the contact prints from the camera. They’re so nice hand held.

I also have a Arca 8x10 Misura, but my hands down favorite is the 5x7 Arca.
    Hi
    Nice to hear your enthusiastic comment on 5x7.
    I think I will think seriously to take the 5x7 set.
    Very interesting even your point in contact printing.
    Thanks

Mario