Re: Best Wide-Open Rendering 150mm f5.6 Lens

15cm APO Lanthar:

Schneider APO Symmar 150mm f/5.6:

Schneider 150mm f/2.8 Xenotar:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Thanks everyone! Great responses.

I just ordered a Schneider Xenar 150mm f5.6 in copal 0 shutter. One of the newer ones that looks like it could have been a re-release in the early 2000s or so (?). Attached pic of the lens from auction.

Looks like this is a non plasmat design (now I know what this means - thanks all).

I know understand I ‘need’ a vintage lens to add next.

My mentioning of the Pentax 67 105mm might have thrown some ppl here off with their mentioning of longer focal lengths than 150mm in 4x5 to get closer to that of the Pentax lens. I was really just trying to get close to the rendering, not focal length (I understand these are however tangentially connected).

No rules in photography! I disagree that portraits “should” be taken with longer lenses like 180-210mm. My personal favorite portraits are taken by Schumaat using a 135mm lens on 4x5. Strange how that works sometimes. Technically however, all strong points and I learned a lot here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 063F6CCE-3326-45D5-A917-2D48BA528B63.jpg  
    Last edited by Wista45SP; 18-Feb-2023 at 07:00.

Makiflex TMX100 Kodak Readyload 545 D23 by Nokton48, on Flickr

TMAX100 4x5 Readyload 545 Back Makiflex D23. Omega DII with Omegalite laser aligned Arista RC #2 paper Multigrade dev. Digital background shot by Tim Layton and enlarged at Cosco. Studio overhead lighting. 150mm f5.6 chrome barrel Schneider Xenar. Great lens I bought for fifty bucks.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Beautiful Bokeh !

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Makiflex TMX100 Kodak Readyload 545 D23 by Nokton48, on Flickr

TMAX100 4x5 Readyload 545 Back Makiflex D23. Omega DII with Omegalite laser aligned Arista RC #2 paper Multigrade dev. Digital background shot by Tim Layton and enlarged at Cosco. Studio overhead lighting. 150mm f5.6 chrome barrel Schneider Xenar. Great lens I bought for fifty bucks.

For the OP:

For portraits

I would suggest a 210L fuji which is a tessar formula. (inexpensive vs exotic stuff)
    I have one for each system I use - beautiful wide open - not clinical, user friendly & compact - I also use P67 like yourself.
    You will like a 210 FL.
    Also use a 12 Commercial Ektar at times.

Have a 9 1/2 inch uncoated Dagor which I would like to try for portraits.
    Had it sitting around finally mounted on a lensboard as I shoot more & more 5x7 and this is a nice FL for that format.

That would be the last generation of Schneider Xenar (Tessar formula) produced before they went out of production, could be multi coated.. The copal# 0 shutter might have five semi-rounded iris blades that could aid in into out of focus rendition ala Bokeh.. If the lens is used at f5.6, this is a non-issue.

There are very real reasons why the Tessar lens formula has endured for so many decades, it is well liked by image makers and image viewers.. Legend has it that C.E.K. Mees and Mees' assistant Loyd Jones at Kodak made a series of prints to be used as public opinion collection devices to aid in lens design back in the 1930's.. The prints were made with a variety of lens formulas, based on public feedback, the Tessar was highly favored. This resulted in the Kodak Ektar and Commercial Ektar series of Tessar formula lenses.. Schneider produced the Xenar which is another Tessar formula lens for decades.. it is also one of Schneider's most famous lens offerings resulting in Schneider using the brand name Xenar to this day..

The Tessar lens design/formula remains one of Paul Rudolph's most enduring creations...
    https://www.westechoptical.com/blog/paul-rudolph

As for portrait focal length... that is much an image makers choice and preference...

BTW, that Pentax 105mm f2.4 is a double Gauss lens formula variant.. will be curious to learn about your impressions of the 150mm Schneider Xenar..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Wista45SP View Post
    Thanks everyone! Great responses.

I just ordered a Schneider Xenar 150mm f5.6 in copal 0 shutter. One of the newer ones that looks like it could have been a re-release in the early 2000s or so (?). Attached pic of the lens from auction.

Looks like this is a non plasmat design (now I know what this means - thanks all).

I know understand I ‘need’ a vintage lens to add next.

My mentioning of the Pentax 67 105mm might have thrown some ppl here off with their mentioning of longer focal lengths than 150mm in 4x5 to get closer to that of the Pentax lens. I was really just trying to get close to the rendering, not focal length (I understand these are however tangentially connected).

No rules in photography! I disagree that portraits “should” be taken with longer lenses like 180-210mm. My personal favorite portraits are taken by Schumaat using a 135mm lens on 4x5. Strange how that works sometimes. Technically however, all strong points and I learned a lot here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Best does not exist
    Sure it is.
    165 SA.
    You can squeeze it in to Deardorf Special.
    Chamonix 4x5? No way.

165mm f8 super angulon... which version, Schneider produced the 165mm f8 Super Angulon for decades..

Question would be, why use a 165mm f8 super angulon on a Chamonix 4x5, with an image circle of 394mm @f22, easily covers 8x10 with plenty of camera movements.. kinda excessive on 4x5 and all that stray light inside the bellows from the over-sized image circle will produce in bellows flare reducing image contrast..

165mm f8 super angulon easily fits on a Sinar and a good number of other view cameras..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Vaidotas View Post
    Sure it is.
    165 SA.
    You can squeeze it in to Deardorf Special.
    Chamonix 4x5? No way.

Bryan Schutmaat..

Giving Voice..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MqlIvbbO_o

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Wista45SP View Post
    My personal favorite portraits are taken by Schumaat

Quote Originally Posted by Serge S View Post
    Beautiful Bokeh !
    Are we seeing real bokeh or that "digital background shot enlarged at Cosco"?
    Expert in non-working solutions.