Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyanotype on fabric

Cyanotype on fabric

I am new to LF, and VERY new to alt processing. I've had 4 "sessions" now of cyanotype printing and I am definitely learning, actually getting results. I coated 10 sheets today and had chemistry leftover. Normally I grab a few more sheets but I've been experimenting with the humidity of the paper and only had ten ready. I coated a small area of a t-shirt and placed a neg on it. It turned out well, but the chemistry was bleeding into the fabric.

Anyone have suggestions on controlling this? I was thinking of a wax border? This is not something I see myself doing very often but I occasionally do things like this with my nieces and nephews.

Thank you.

Mike

multiplex

Re: Cyanotype on fabric

Hi Mike

there are several companies that sell pre-coated cyanotype fabric, you might email or call them directly. to ask their advice about what you might use .. I've only coated canvas (like to paint on canvas) ... im not sure if it is helpful but you might also check on alternative photography.com website to see if they have any solutions for you, I looked but wasn't really able to find something that could help but I didn't read every entry or comment/post.

good luck!

John

Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    I coated a small area of a t-shirt and placed a neg on it. It turned out well, but the chemistry was bleeding into the fabric.
    Just mask out the area you don't want to be printed and wash out unexposed sensitizer?

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    Hi Mike

there are several companies that sell pre-coated cyanotype fabric, you might email or call them directly. to ask their advice about what you might use .. I've only coated canvas (like to paint on canvas) ... im not sure if it is helpful but you might also check on alternative photography.com website to see if they have any solutions for you, I looked but wasn't really able to find something that could help but I didn't read every entry or comment/post.

good luck!

John
    I will look there, thank you.

Yeh, that was my initial thought. I was hoping someone with more experience with it might have a trick or two. The cyanotype chemistry is so cheap compared to the other processes (platinum, etc.) so washing some away isn't really an issue.
    Thank you.

You can buy frisket film and mask the material before sensitizing, there are also liquid materials watercolor artists use on canvas.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15533504580...ada4310d8ffe35
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Quote Originally Posted by mtndesertman View Post
    Searched, but I find no link regarding processing film with instant coffee and the results of doing so? I've watched some UTube videos but have never seen the results, and would like to. Might be a travel developer if the results are good.
    BW
    Wrong thread?
    Anyway, search for "caffenol". Plenty of examples on Flickr etc.

Thanks, might be worth a look. I "discovered" rubylith but seems to be pricey. Might be worth it if I can source it, can also use on paper when doing prints.

I have used the paper from this source

very easy and fun

https://www.dickblick.com/products/j...t=Shopping%203
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    Thanks, might be worth a look. I "discovered" rubylith but seems to be pricey. Might be worth it if I can source it, can also use on paper when doing prints.
    Check eBay. Some sellers are more attractive than others. Some still sell at decent prices.