Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horseman 980 movements almost jammed

Re: Horseman 980 movements almost jammed

cheers !

there is a principle , at least according to Holmes , that says ,
    once you've eliminated the impossible , whatever remains , however improbable , is the truth

I've sussed most , if not all the movements , all stiff like hell, think I've found a way to treat them with a yet to be known to me , lubricant

the original grease has frozen up , so to speak , in fifty years of neglect !
    mostly landscapes , one or two gothic buildings , and forests , preferably angiospermes , they're more dramatic I'd venture to say
    Topcor 90mm f/I forget
    Schneider Kreuznach 75mm f/8 Compur 0
    now I can shoot handheld 1/60 , 100% , 1/30 60% hope to get to 1 second soon ( 55 years in Leica & Rolleiflex , y'see)

Bernice , thanks for chipping in

Small town, South Carolina, US

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Pliers on the lock knob/lever.. something is extremely wrong. No camera control should ever need this amount of force to operate.
    The camera might be a beauty, except if this camera cannot function as a camera, it is not a lot more than a object of "beauty"...

Curious, why a Horseman 980, 6x9_2x3 press camera? These were designed to be used hand held for newspaper press images back in the day.
    They have limited camera movement abilities and are designed to be used in a specific and mostly specialized way for a some what specialized need.

What are the image making needs / goals?

What about lenses needed for your image needs and goals?

Bernice
    The Horseman 980's etc have the same set of movements as a Linhof Technica. Both are good versatile cameras.

I have 4 980's (long story) and don't believe any are frozen. Something seems wrong.

You may want to put one small drop of lighter fluid at the interface where the two parts move against each other to partially dissolve any hard grease. Then, after at least a few minutes, using the fingers of one hand push the front standard up while at the same time turn the elevation knob with the other hand.

On another subject, the struts on 980's that position the bed when dropped restrict the shift of short lenses. The struts of later models were changed to an elbow configuration to allow more shift. I have some custom made stainless steel replacement struts that I can send (for a nominal cost) to anyone with an unmodified 980 who would like to change theirs out.

just sent madame to fetch some
    by short lenses you mean wide angle ?
    I've got a 90mm and a 75mm ; do I need struts , please ?

thank you most kindly for chipping in and for advice

P.S nothing is wrong , it's frozen all right ' forty something years ago I did some maintenance on two Linhof Tech , they were both suffering the same

The struts on the 980 series do not interfere with shift of the 90 lenses. They will restrict shift with your 75mm lens, I believe. If you focus your 75mm at infinity you can verify this. And then decide for yourself if changing them out is worth the trouble.

thank you most kindly . The 75 is on it's way . of course I'll let you know .
    please forgive a question , what is the difference between a Compur 0 and 1 and 2 and , etc
    why is so marked a difference between Copal and Compur ?
    is it true that large format lenses are not so sharp wide open ? on one forum a geezer complained that his Schneider / I forget now is terrible wide open , he has not seen so bad in his entire life , you know the rest
    I am most grateful for your help
    cheers !

P.S. may I PM you please ?

Yes, you can PM me. However, after shoulder surgery I can only type with one hand. Very slow. I strongly suggest that you do some research on this website's
    Home Page. It will answer most of your questions and more.

The different shutter numbers denote different shutter sizes. With different openings. bigger number of shutter larger opening- as is required by the particular lens.
    Most lenses that work on your Horseman are in a no. 0 shutter.
    Copal shutters were made in Japan, Compur shutters were made in Germany. Look at LensN2Sutter.com website or SKGrimes website to see a discussion on shutters.

Almost all large format lenses are sharper stopped down.

I have the 970 if the move is seized suggest using a drop of easing oil (wd 40) and then vasserlean on moving parts using a cotton bud DONT USE FORCE

Quote Originally Posted by REDSQUARE PHOTOGRAPHY View Post
    I have the 970 if the move is seized suggest using a drop of easing oil (wd 40) and then vasserlean on moving parts using a cotton bud DONT USE FORCE
    cheers