Thread: Linhof Color 4x5 monorail user experiences

Linhof Color 4x5 monorail user experiences

Has anyone used a Linhof Color 4x5 monorail camera? It’s the one that looks like a Technica, but in a monorail configuration. I can’t find any photos online that show it with front tilt or swing, but it must surely have those adjustments, no? Was wondering about weight and ease of use in the field. I don’t do much long distance hiking, so this would be a camera I would use in close proximity to my car. It looks solid, and I’m sure it has the typical smooth, precision feel that Linhof is famous for.
    Maybe Linhof expert Bob Salomon could chime in.

Re: Linhof Color 4x5 monorail user experiences

The front standard is very similar to a Technika IV, so you have swings, tilts, and rise. The back is revolving, and has the extension rods like a IV as well. As a monorail, it's fairly compact and light, but it doesn't have the flexibility of the average monorail.

I've had one for years, but never used it. I've salvaged some of the parts to use on my Technikas. For use in the field, you'd be far better off just getting an older Technika, like a IV. The Technika is even more compact and portable.

The only reason to get a Linhof Color is if it's in good condition, and bargain basement priced. Perfectly useable as a basic camera, but you can find a lot of old cheap view cameras these days that will be better suited for general use.
    Repenting Sinar Blasphemer ... stonings at 11

It’s the Linhof Kardan Color model. I have a couple of these, there were early and late models, the late one added rear rise and a spiffy combination regular and bag bellows. They seem very lightweight, I would think lighter than the Technika IV because it looses the case, bed and rangefinder. Yes, movements are basically limited to what a Tech IV can do, but that works for me, if I am doing something that requires extreme movements I’ll use a studio type monorail (like my Linhof Kardan Bi). As with all Linhof gear it is beautifully and precisely made and a pleasure to use.

From a review in this site:
    “The other way to think of a Kardan Color, is that it's a Master Technika with more movements, fore and aft focusing, better bellows, rear rise and costs one quarter as much. How does that grab you? I picked up mine on e-bay for $575 without lens and I have seen several others for sale since.”

Link to full review

The later Kardan Color loses the Technika look, right? I think I’ve seen these online, and do look like great cameras.

Linhof made a couple of these Technika-on-a-stick cameras...
    The Linhof Color 4x5 was first in 1958 followed by a 6x9 version as well.
    In 1964 it was replaced with a improved version and given a slightly different name, Kardan Color.
    No 6x9 version was made of the Kardan Color but the 6x9 Linhof Color continued to be made...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1958 Linhof Color New 100.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	235242 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1964 New Kardan Color 42199484480_dc3a4b4935_o.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	235243

I own one and never took it in the field. I have it with its original tripod and head. You won't carry that in a backpack and would need a trolley case. Movements are like Technika indeed, which means okay, but a bit fidgety: the front is a bit small.

I have the early 6X9 version

A lovely anarchism I cherish as it is perfect

I only use it with sheet film

Have a Top Hat and can shoot portraits with 360 mm Tele
    Tin Can

Built like a Brick House! Perfection in the studio. From what I call "The Golden Era" of Sixties LF. Very Kewl but often underappreciated.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thanks, all! Appreciate the info.