Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: On-line group critique thread ideas?

multiplex

Re: On-line group critique thread ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Previously posted... what is "art"_?_...

Attachment 235069

Bernice

it's usually what people least expect, or don't want to acknowledge..

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    ...'You are ready to Graduate when you throw your advisors/critics/tutors/peers out of your studio'
    Some people never invite any of those into their studios
    Try to honestly answer to yourself why you do what you do and everything else will fall into places. Almost all of the information is readily available and easily accessible nowadays. Know what you are looking for and learn how to search for it.
    Fast food is fast but not healthy.

I once took a class in Palm Springs with Frank W Ockenfels III. Amazing photographer - his style and my style were (and are) completely different. He gave excellent (and I mean EXCELLENT) critiques. Nothing was negative. He suggested options, opportunities, and possibilities and even though he and I have completely different styles, I spent most of the three days saying, "Yeah, you're right, it would be more powerful if the eyeline was over there - or if the crop was tighter or looser, or whatever."

Being a good critic is challenging. Offering a critique is not just expressing an opinion. It's taking a careful look at an image and asking yourself (as the viewer) a number of important questions before you start talking or typing.

My fear with any sort of a critique thread is the possibility of ham-handed (even if they're not malicious) comments that offer nothing except to make the subject feel badly. That's no fun.

There have been a number of posts in this thread about how to usefully critique an image. The NJ Photographer's Forum, of which I am a member, meets monthly to critique each other's work. Clearly, an in-person critique (even if on Zoom), where there is discussion between both those critiquing work and the photographer has many advantages versus an on-line version. Nonetheless, here is a link to the section of the NJPF section on how to critique works at the monthly get-together. It might provide some thoughts if this thread comes to fruition: https://www.njphotoforum.com/meetings

Art school critiques often end in tears.

I'm adequately trained in photo history and photography styles to be able to adequately express myself in a critique. I'm not so good at reading people, especially being text on the Internet and feel like I'd probably read people wrong and upset them in the process. Saying something constructive and it coming across as a backhanded compliment for example... But that's me.. If there's a way to potentially screw up some communications, I like to do it in person rather than by phone/email/Internet.

If people want to do it, set some structure and get started and see how it goes! It's worth trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Before ART Grad school

A person I respect told me

'You are ready to Graduate when you throw your advisors/critics/tutors/peers out of your studio'
    But many people here are still not "pros" or graduates where simple comments about simple errors could be advantageous.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    But many people here are still not "pros" or graduates where simple comments about simple errors could be advantageous.
    What is an error to one can be art for another.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    What is an error to one can be art for another.
    More likely it's an error.

In any case, the maker of the photo can respond with his reasons why he did it that way. But being flagged with something that looks like a technical error could be very helpful for many.

If someone is building a piece of furniture and another furniture maker points out an issue he sees, no one would think it wrong to give advice. "You should have cut there. Or maybe it could use some more sanding over there." Why is it with us in photography everyone is an artist? Isn't it possible to discuss the craft of photography and offer our knowledge and experience as well as our opinions?

It would be nice to do this for some folks, but I am concerned about the need for heavy moderator oversight and intervention.