Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Focusing loupe - which one do you recommend

Re: Focusing loupe - which one do you recommend

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Remove the fresnel, problem removed.

Bernice
    So then you will see dust on the ground glass!

Drew Wiley

I use the same Peak 7X. It's my favorite. Have two of them. One of them is Horseman label, the other Nikon labeled.

Another favorite focus technique of mine - throw away the damn fresnel screen first!

I started with a plastic Agfa magnifier, then a glass lens linen tester - worked great except that there would light from the side that would obscure the image I was focusing on, even with the dark cloth. Over the years I changed out 4x5 cameras and added lenses. I went to a 4x Toyo loupe (probably the best purchase price) maybe 20 or 30 years ago - I had a 4x5 with a deep collapsible rear hood. In the last 10 years I went to 1.5 magnifying glasses, and a long horseman 7x loupe. I bought it to work with the 4x5 Technikardan collapsible rear hood - so I wouldn't have to remove the shade to focus the lens on the ground glass ( I still flip the shade back and forth looking at the ground glass with my magnifying glasses and with the loupe). It also works great on my 8x10 C-1 Calumet ground glass. It is 7X instead of 4X magnification and works fine with my ground glass only set ups. I can't speak about Fresnel lens focusing, as I tried it once and didn't like it.

You need to look at your camera, the set up that you are using and what works best with it. Also, what feels right to you, and how you are taking images - your process of image making. If you want to see in the corners magnified - the Sivestri tilting loupe sounds great ( I haven't tried one ). There is a difference in the quality of the lenses - plastic lenses tend to dull contrast, quality glass is easier to see to use (but quality glass cost quite a bit more).

As far as my process: I tend to wear my loupe around my neck with a cord and keep it in my breast pocket. I keep my meter in a case on my belt, and often I have a zone-6 filter in my breast pocket as well on a cord around my neck. I use an old Linhof finder initially to locate possible images. The tools have taken decades to collect and have become part of the image making process. Happy and fruitful image finding, and creating to you.
    Last edited by Robert Opheim; 24-Feb-2023 at 13:24. Reason: more infl

Does anyone own the 6X one from Horseman ? ( the slim one useful for getting into the VH hood )
    If so, I'd like to know if they have a diopter adjust.

My Horseman is the 6X and not the 7X. Yes there is considerable diopter adjustment - almost 3/4 of an inch. It has rubber on the end where it would meet the ground glass. It varies in length from around 4 1/2 inches to 5 1/8 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Opheim View Post
    My Horseman is the 6X and not the 7X. Yes there is considerable diopter adjustment - almost 3/4 of an inch. It has rubber on the end where it would meet the ground glass. It varies in length from around 4 1/2 inches to 5 1/8 inches.
    I recently bought one. It's shortest when no diopter adjustment and gets longer with more magnification.

I suspect it will get longer with + dioptre adjustment and the mag will increase a bit ? I'm not expecting a mag adjustment though ?

Thanks Robert, it's more likely i will buy one now, though they are a bit pricey !

Just a thought, but I find 3.50 diopter reading glasses just about perfect for focusing. Otherwise I use a Hasselblad chimney magnifier and occasionally an actual loupe, though I can't remember who made it, and the branding wore off years ago, though ISCO comes to mind.

Mark, the 6x Horseman Loupes - used are expensive - I shopped around and ended up buying one off of ebay several years ago. I tend to buy from recognized stores and sellers on email where I have had no issues. I look at the ratings and reviews.

Yes, thanks, that's where I was looking - there are dozens of them at any given time - surprisingly !
    I had a good look through about 3 days ago, and found one with a decent balance between condition and price. I probably should have bought one years ago, but my decreasing accommodation has slowed down my working lately, and a loupe that doesn't need me to swing aside the hood on the VH screen , has dioptre adjust and is slim to get into the corners, is what i need. I'm sure it'll be worth the money, all the Horseman kit is nicely made.