Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting a 4x5 enlarger - thoughts vs scanning

Thinking of getting a 4x5 enlarger - thoughts vs scanning

Hello !

I have been thinking of getting a 4x5 enlarger - been scanning everything these days on a V800 Epson.
    I am soliciting opinions from others who have gone back to printing - is it worth the effort?
    Overcomplicating things? (I also shoot 5x7, but I can get a nice 4x5 enlarger for a moderate price locally)
    I usually only print to 11 x14.

Thanks in advance!

Serge

Re: Thinking of getting a 4x5 enlarger - thoughts vs scanning

Everyone will have different opinions on this, and there are PROS and CONS to both -- so a lot of people, like me, do both.

I guess a lot depends on what you want to do with your negatives, and how your want to create your prints.

For me, taking the picture is only STEP #1. Creating the image is STEP #2, and despite what some people might say, there are some things you can only do under an enlarger.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Everyone will have different opinions on this, and there are PROS and CONS to both -- so a lot of people, like me, do both.

I guess a lot depends on what you want to do with your negatives, and how your want to create your prints.

For me, taking the picture is only STEP #1. Creating the image is STEP #2, and despite what some people might say, there are some things you can only do under an enlarger.
    Yes that's true.
    I am a bit addicted to tweaking the scan
    I think you are right - both are good to have available - enlarger & scanning capability.
    So many options!

Well, Serge, over-complication is certainly open to interpretation, even over-interpretation. My vote is for the darkroom and the pleasure of making silver prints. I'm guessing that you have previous darkroom printing experience, but if not, it's lots of fun; indeed, it may be my favorite part of the whole process. Although I have done quite a bit of Photoshop work, it's not my preference at all. I prefer the challenges of not being able to manipulate with the freedom of digital. I didn't want to be a painter, or a digital wiz, and not have to deal with the peculiarities of the straight photographic image and strive to make beautiful prints from the un-retouched negatives. I don;t want to have the easy option of retouching out something I didn't want to include in the photo. The traditional path suits me just fine, and I prefer the darkroom to sitting at a computer any day. I love it as much as I did when I first became entranced with it in 1968.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

If you have the space and a good deal, I'd go for it. I assume you have the know-how and at least some of the gear -- trays, tubes, timers, lenses, sink, etc., etc. You can get most darkroom gear for next to nothing nowadays!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    I prefer the darkroom to sitting at a computer any day.
    Same with reading a book or even a newspaper. LOTS of people do it on a computer/tablet/phone all the time, but it's just not enjoyable for me. Time in a darkroom? I wish I had more of it -- and unlike reading a book, I can have music playing on the stereo!

My questions here would be-

Are you making inkjet prints from your scans now?
    if so, are you happy with the results?
    Do you think a silver print would look better? (They will be different.)
    Do you have the time and energy to devote to a new craft?

I think it's a good idea, if you have space, money, and the desire.
    But then the silver print is my chosen medium; best of luck with however you go.

If you have the space and money, go for it.
    The other option is contact printing if 4x5" prints are acceptable. I use LF mostly for soft focus work and that is best contact printed, so I have a fully equipped darkroom with a 4x5 enlarger that doesn't get much use.
    If you're into sharp bigger prints, it's a good tool.
    I am not unhappy with inkjet prints, but consider it a different output medium than silver gelatin darkroom prints. Silver prints are their own thing and can look great.

Basically if you are interested in darkroom work go for it. That's really the remaining reason to make darkroom prints.

The nice thing is that since you already scan you can combine the two processes for the best of both worlds. For example you can scan your negatives to make inkjet masks for use in the enlarger/darkroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Serge S View Post
    Hello !

I have been thinking of getting a 4x5 enlarger - been scanning everything these days on a V800 Epson.
    I am soliciting opinions from others who have gone back to printing - is it worth the effort?
    Overcomplicating things? (I also shoot 5x7, but I can get a nice 4x5 enlarger for a moderate price locally)
    I usually only print to 11 x14.

Thanks in advance!

Serge

IMO, darkroom prints vs digital prints is not a question of which is better, rather they're simply different. I do both. I enjoy working in the darkroom and the sheer beauty of a well crafted silver print. On my best days, I've made silver prints that appear to "glow" with light; of all the desktop prints I've made I've never seen that phenomenon in an inkjet print. I enjoy contact printing my 8x10 negatives in the darkroom, but occasionally I like to have a larger print from these negs and don't own an 8x10 enlarger. I do enjoy the level of control possible on the desktop. Therefore, as others have said if you have the room and finances to do both that would be my vote.