Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First 8x10 Advice/Suggestions

First 8x10 Advice/Suggestions

Hi, I am a fairly new member here and have used a 4x5 a few time over the past couple of years. I would now like to venture into an 8x10 field camera.

There are a few nice options available currently that I have found.

1. Wista in like new condition - like the condition and look of this camera, it seems to be a pretty solid bet
    2. Deardorff V8m - in moderately used condition, from 1968 but still looks pretty good
    3. Gundlach Korona C1 - this is the full kit with the Gundlach triple convertible lens, looks to be mint condition too but seller is asking $1,800 which seems maybe a little steep to me given it’s age.

Would appreciate any thoughts / comments to help this first 8x10 buying decision. Budget is around $3k for camera, a lens, & couple of holders.

Thanks,
    Dave

Re: First 8x10 Advice/Suggestions

Check the older wooden cameras for rigidity if you can see them in person. I've owned and used a few 8x10 cameras, none that you mention though. If in good shape, any of those will do a fine job. Size/weight/movements/bellows extension, those are up to you.

Those are all nice

But I recently bought https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/product...id-8x10-camera

and like lightweight

don't worry we always buy the wrong camera first
    Tin Can

The V8 is a classic...and usually priced so. Great cameras, not light. But if the bellows are good and not mis-used in the past (joints tight, hardware in good condition), it should keep its value as well as be an excellent first and last camera (or at least until it is too heavy to carry far afield).

The C1 would be a good price if it was an 11x14. They are light, but lack front movements (except front rise/fall...use your 4x5 without front movements to see how it works for you). I use a 5x7 Eastman No.2 for landscapes and can survive without front movements, but I'd prefer to have them if possible.

The C1 was not designed for a sliding tripod block like my Eastman No.2, so it will help if one can get some support under the front rail hinge to stiffen it up. A large mounting platform on the tripod/tripod head helps.

The Wista I have not used -- most likely a very fine beast, too!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

For me the condition of the bellows is primary.
    Garry Madlung
    Veteran of many tours of the Canadian Rockies

That does seem to be true, doesn’t it

Thanks, yes the weight of the V8 is a little concern for carrying in the field.

Place the camera choice at a Much lower priority..

~Top of the priority list is image goals, what kind of images will be made, what will be done with the film post process.. Scanned, contact print, projection enlargement, alternative process or _?_

~Where will these images be made? Outdoors, taken on long hikes or camping trips, strictly in studio with controlled lighting or _?_

~What lenses will be needed to achieve the above image goals? If there is an interest in using lenses in barrel, the camera must be able to support this, if smaller exposure apertures are always used (ala f22 and smaller) why use a whopper sized and weight modern plasmat when a very modest sized Dagor does easily equal or better. Will wide angle lenses be needed, if yes, how short a focal length, will extensive camera movements be needed, does the camera properly support a bag bellows and extensive camera movements front and rear... Or maybe large aperture lenses or soft focus lenses for portraits and other images will be needed... will the camera properly support these needs?

~Then comes what camera might properly support those needs listed above.

~Don't focus on camera first then regretting the camera choice due to it's inability to meet your image goal needs and requirements.

~Keep the tripod, tripod head ala camera support system in mind as it is often one of the most important items in the outfit as with the other bits including the case for this outfit..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Dhanner View Post
    Hi, I am a fairly new member here and have used a 4x5 a few time over the past couple of years. I would now like to venture into an 8x10 field camera.

There are a few nice options available currently that I have found.

1. Wista in like new condition - like the condition and look of this camera, it seems to be a pretty solid bet
    2. Deardorff V8m - in moderately used condition, from 1968 but still looks pretty good
    3. Gundlach Korona C1 - this is the full kit with the Gundlach triple convertible lens, looks to be mint condition too but seller is asking $1,800 which seems maybe a little steep to me given it’s age.

Would appreciate any thoughts / comments to help this first 8x10 buying decision. Budget is around $3k for camera, a lens, & couple of holders.

Thanks,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dhanner View Post
    Thanks, yes the weight of the V8 is a little concern for carrying in the field.
    At the same time, do not put too much importance on the difference of a kilogram or so between cameras. Everything else that is required will swallow that kilo.

Bernice has a point. If you do not plan on using long lenses (600mm, for example), then a lighter camera without extreme bellows extension would be suitable. But if you are planning on head & shoulder portraits inside, then more bellows extension is what you may want. I have a Zone VI 8x10 that easily handles 600mm at infinity or a bit closer...but not the 710mm lens (maybe if I hang it on the last tooth of the rails). And there can be limitations going the other way (relatively short lenses).

But any of those three cameras would be fine for multiple uses.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

There's a Toyo 810G on ebay for about $1K (I don't know anything about the seller). In general Toyo cameras are excellent but perhaps on the heavy side.

There is an old thread started on the Toyo 810G
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...G-in-the-field