Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Interest in a new Hypergon?

Re: Interest in a new Hypergon?

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Bernice that’s a good point. I’ll suggest to the customer an option would include a custom superwide body for those who need it. Hugo, it’d be interesting to know whether Chamonix could do a run of them at a reasonable price point.
    I have an 8x10 Hobo with a 120 SA in helical. A 75mm hyper-version would be fabulous. If it can't be done economically in wood, maybe something 3D-printed.

Alas, I'm not going to be much help for now as it's unlikely that I'll have budget for one any time soon. But I hope this comes to fruition and I'll be watching with interest,

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Regarding the appropriate camera, there was a Folmer Schwing "Skyscraper Camera" that allows a very short extension and nothing protruding in front of the front standard, plus a lot of front rise/fall independent of the bellows, reportedly just for the Hypergon:

"An extreme wide-angle, such as the Goerz Hypergon, is a lens for which there is but little use unless one makes a specialty of photographing large buildings in congested districts. However, a lens of this type or a Series V Protar necessarily must be used in connection with a skyscraper camera, for the reason that the lens is often above or below the center of the plate and therefore has to cut more than the size of the plate."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...g2sm_G4rc3Hlvp

I have a 75mm Hypergon mounted back-in-the-day on a modified 8x10 Improved Seneca View with a bag bellows and very short extension rail. I added a recessed lens board to allow a bit of movement. The squeeze-bulb spins the star, and the cable release releases the star to swing out of the way:

Hypergon 1
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

For a while, Tachihara offered a non-folding SW version of its 8x10 camera, with a very short bed. Bellows extension was specified as minimum 75 mm and maximum 230 mm. I imagine not many were sold - they turn up once in a very great while on eBay.

There's also the current Walker Titan XL 8x10, with minimum extension specified as 72 mm. The bed seems a bit deeper than that of the Tachihara, so I don't know whether you'd run into trouble with it ending up in the picture.

Of course Ebony offered SW versions of its non-folding 8x10 as well, but minimum bellows extension was 105 mm.

Another interesting classic camera in this vein - Kodak wide angle box camera, exposing WP format with an 8.5 cm f/18 Protar:

https://www.antiq-photo.com/en/colle...a-bill-brandt/

Hmm. According to http://web.archive.org/web/201612041....com/hyper.htm, in 1914 six Hypergon focal lengths were cataloged. I have no idea whether they were all produced.

Apropos of center filters, please see http://www.galerie-photo.com/center-...at-lenses.html, p. 7. Pre-WWI Goerz may not have known how to make them but Schneider did.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Hmm. According to http://web.archive.org/web/201612041....com/hyper.htm, in 1914 six Hypergon focal lengths were cataloged. I have no idea whether they were all produced.
    Original cost for 75mm 000a Hypergon was $49. I just find it interesting that an inflation calculator for 2022 money indicates that being valued about $1450. Bravo on the price target!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Bernice that’s a good point. I’ll suggest to the customer an option would include a custom superwide body for those who need it. Hugo, it’d be interesting to know whether Chamonix could do a run of them at a reasonable price point.

That said, I can run a Hypergon on both my Tachihara and pretty sure I can use it on my 2D since the rear standard can run all the way out. Those are fairly common camera types.
    Our next 810 camera model, Chamonix 810H, will be a non folding one based upon our popular 45H1. It will have a min bellows draw of 60mm and will handle a 75mm lens with ease. It is NOT a dedicated camera just for one lens as its max bellows draw will be 585mm. We expect that the camera will come out in about 24 months.

Coming late to the party, but I would be interested in the 8x10/75mm version.

What a great project! I wish you success!

How hard is the focusing with such a wide lens? My only kinda similar experience was with a Protar, and that was pretty hard to see what was happening on the edges even with a Fresnel.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    What a great project! I wish you success!

How hard is the focusing with such a wide lens? My only kinda similar experience was with a Protar, and that was pretty hard to see what was happening on the edges even with a Fresnel.
    I will be able to report when the alpha prototype is assembled in a couple weeks.

Originals are focused at f/22 and shot at f/32-f/45. That will be the case for these.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com