Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which 4x5 camera for architecture?

which 4x5 camera for architecture?

Hi!
    I´m trying to start in architecture photography and thinking about buying the equipment. I´ve been looking for 4x5 field cameras on ebay and saw that Linhof color kardan and Sinar Norma are the like low budget cameras from two great brands. Can anybody tell me an opinion about wich of this cameras would be better for architecture photo?
    thank you very much for the answers,

Luis

wich 4x5 camera for architecture?

I would opt for the Sinar. It is now low-budget because it is old, but it was very well made and many examples in nice condition still exist. The Sinar was the first fully modular camera, you can add and exchange components to do all sorts of work. Outgrowing it is unlikely. By contrast, the Linhof, though a well-made instrument, is not nearly as versatile.

As already stated its one champion and his name is Sinar!

I don't know much about the specific cameras, but I can give you some general advice. For architectural photography, adequate rise and shifts is specially important. You want to be able to make full use in that respect of what your lenses can handle. It is also important that you be able to use your camera with short focal length lenses and still be able to use adequate rise and shifts. So, for example, being able to use a bag bellows might be important. Finally, archtectural photography usually requires careful attention to leveling the camera and being sure the film plane is plumb. While you can usually manage just with a simple torpedo level, anything that expedites that would be helpful.

If budget's a consideration, take a look at the less expensive Calumet Cambo models. They'll do everything that you need in architecture. You'll need a wide-angle bellows. You might also want to think about getting the reflex viewer. Another advantage of Cambos is that you can find adaptor lensboards for many different cameras. For example, you could mount your lenses on Linhof Technika boards, use them on a Cambo monorail for architecture, and also use them on a field camera that accepts the same lensboards.

People make a lot of being able to put cameras in backpacks, etc. That's a consideration for field photography. But on an architectural shoot, you make up the camera at your vehicle at the beginning of the day, and you take it down at the end of the day. Of course, weight is important. I don't think the less expensive Cambo's necessarily weigh any more than, say, the Arca-Swiss. (Which is a first rate high end camera for architecture.) Actually, the newer Arca Swiss cameras weigh less than the older monorail Arca-Swiss cameras. So, the newer ones might weight signifantly less. But, they're expensive.

With the excellent low budget used cameras available that are suitable for architecture, put the money you save into high quality lenses.

I'd add that anything you need can be found used. There's no need to purchase new.

When I had to do architectural shots I used the Sinar Norma – bag bellows, short rail, both standards in from of the rail clamp, and a Super Angulon lens. But then I also used the same camera in the studio with normal bellows, long rail etc etc. The modular concept was really valuable (and expensive in those days!).

Go with the Sinar and configure it any way you want. Just don't try to carry it any great distance...

I second the Sinar recommendations, but I would suggest looking at the F2 over the Norma. They are not so expensive. On the auction site I see a Norma that went for just under $600 and two F2 camera that sold for between $650 and $750. With an F2 you will gain some sophistication in movements (asymmetrics), you get Sinar's patented DOF focusing for lens apertures, and probably shed some weight to boot over the Norma.

The Norma might beat the F2 in rigidity by a little, but not such that you will lose in quality. I know a working Architectural photographer that uses an F2 for all his work.

Maybe others have reasons I don't see to get an older camera, but I think you will feel less like you are using a vintage machine with the F2.

Good luck

So long as you acquire a good bag bellows and lensboards with your purchase, don't hesitate to buy your choice of a Sinar Norma, Arca-Swiss, Linhof Color Kardan, Cambo monorail, Toyo G, or Arca-Swiss A, B, or C. All of these excellent cameras can be had for less than $600.

It really comes down to what sort of tilts you prefer (base or axis), brand preference, and the condition of the particular camera. I wouldn't worry about anything else.

The Sinar F2 is fine, but the Norma is more solid. I never found the DOF BS worth a hoot but others swear by it, YMMV, no insults meant or implied. The older Arcas are compact and lightweight. And the Linhof is probably the finest quality. The Toyos and Cambos are decent but I have no experience.

Of course the Sinar parts are the easiest to find... I like the the old Arcas personally because they don't need as heavy a tripod. I always thought the Sinars needed a Gitzo 4 or 5 where I can get an Arca on a 3.

Assuming weight is no object you should add the Horseman L Frame system to your list of possibles. Super sturdy and even the entry level LE has geared rise/fall and shift. You can usually find a good used one in the range of $500 and sometimes an LS with both base and axis tilt for not much more. Many of the Horseman and Sianr parts are interchangable and the Horseman system is as sxtensive as any you will find and the parts are reasonably available. You should contact Jim at Midwest Photo as they usually have several used ones on hand.

I have used a Horseman system in my studio for many years and have never found a task it couldn't handle.

One of the great advantages of Sinar is the retro fit and interchangability of most parts. This helps when upgrading via the local 2nd hand dealer. Not mentioned is the DB shutter and opportunity to buy cheaper shutterless lenses. This is well noted in past posts.
    Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure... Life is either daring adventure or nothing: Helen Keller.