Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
Oh gosh, when TMY400 will do that so much better, sacrificing only a single zone of deep shadow, shooting at 800, instead of 3 zones in the case of F 200. I'd sometimes lop a stop off TMY, and then overdevelop it a bit to get that blacked-out-graphic shadow effect ala Brett Weston. Foma 200 is far less malleable, and has a far slower real-world speed (2 stops lower than TMY to begin with). But if you have it around anyway, no harm trying it. Foma 200 doesn't overdevelop well either, certainly nothing like the potential of TMax films, classic ole Super-XX, or even FP4.

Hp5 has a relatively long toe, so is in another category. Frankly, what I liked to do with HP5 was to counterintuitively both overexpose and overdevelop it (pyro) and then rein it back in with a supplementary mask. That's a lot of cumulative extra density; but I have some really muscular light sources on my 8x10 enlargers. Delta 100 has a medium toe, and can be overdeveloped well for extra contrast gradient.

I'm just speaking technically and predictably. But sometimes technical felonies turn out to be creative gems.
That's helpful. Thanks Drew. I do have a muscular LED head for my DII's. Hmmm