Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Enlarger table height

Re: Enlarger table height

I have a wall mount 8X10, I recently changed the table to an adjustable height from 26 to 42" by crank

Table is 24X42

Every workbench should fit the user, there are industrial standards

My big heavy old vise is mounted for my height

Look up standards

but even my huge 10X10 FOTAR adjusted to LARGE prints by lowering the table while raising the head simultaneously

Smoothly!

and locked with exquisite ease

Biggest I made on it was table size, 28 X 40"
    Tin Can

My last one had an adjustable base as well so I don't really remember the height I used most of the time.

Right - countertop is generally referenced as the standard at 36"

I’m 6’4” and my previous darkroom had low ceilings. I made my sink about 38” and the enlargers were set so that at the maximum extensions, the top of the enlarger was in between the ceiling joists. (Really) I now have enough room above but have gotten used to a little bit below normal height (for me) for the enlargers so I just live with it.
    Last edited by Conrad . Marvin; 1-Jan-2023 at 07:07.

I was able to adjust the height on the smaller enlarger to 39” to the baseboard but the larger one has a substantial support and the top of the paper holder measures 35.5” from the floor.

whatever height is comfortable on your back while viewing the easel and focusing scope and still able to reach the control knobs.

Fine Art & Architect

enlarger on old metal kitchen cabinet base I found years ago. sinks are on kitchen base cabinets. height 36". have drafting chair I can roll between sink and enlarger. My darkroom is like a galley kitchen, everything within a few steps. darkroom is for lab work only. matting, print mounting and archives are in other rooms

About 36" is good for average height workers ergonomics... Too low bends the back too much, and your head will constantly hit the enlarger head (ouch!!!)... Too high is nice as you have enough room for your head to use grain magnifier, load paper without enlarger head in the way, burn/dodge etc, but starts putting enlarger controls out of reach, loading neg stage etc... But you can add an "apple box" plywood step when making them big prints...

You can make a drop table of slots below normal baseboard height to slide baseboard to lower positions (even just above floor) when bigger prints are to be made...

Steve K

When I built my darkroom a couple of years ago, I put the countertop height at 42". I'm 6'3" and have long arms, so that has worked fine so far. A working lifetime bending over low counters informed that decision. After making many prints, 40" would have been as good. If I ever start making 16x20s again, or 20x24s, I'll just figure out a way to get those done.

I'm looking at a Beseler 4x5 enlarger. I think I want to make prints around 14x17.5 or whatever is most economical near that size. I also want to be able to do hopefully 20x25 when I can justify the cost of bigger prints.

Ceiling height, counter height, enlarger lens focal length and print size are all factors I need to look at.

First, how big can a Beseler 4x5 enlarger go in a vertical configuration with the standard baseplate? Second, what enlarger lens focal length will work from probably 8x10 up to 20x25. Is there a particular lens I should be looking for?

I have a shed that is well insulated, air-conditioned and essentially light tight that I want to use for my darkroom. It has decent ceiling height but I'm not sure it's 8'. What should I do to make it work as well as possible without huge ceiling height and hopefully without low counter height?