Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Multicoated, vs. Single Coated Enlarging Lens?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Multicoated, vs. Single Coated Enlarging Lens?

I've always used single-coated enlarging lenses to enlarge 4x5. I used a single-coated, Calumet branded 150mm Componon S for a long time, and more recently, I've been using a single-coated 180mm Rodagon.

Does one tend to see any kind of a difference enlarging with a multicoated, versus a single-coated lens?

Re: Multicoated, vs. Single Coated Enlarging Lens?

No I doubt you’ll see any

Drew Wiley

In principle, perhaps a tiny difference, but only if the MC lens is also of superior optical performance. That will be the case with later more expensive Apo varieties. But it's not something I'd worry about. The regular 180 Rodagon is a superb lens for 4x5 usage, and one of my favorites, and already a distinct improvement over the 150 Componon S, which certainly wasn't shabby, but itself a decent workhorse. To upstage it, you'd need to acquire a 150 Apo Rodagon N, which will have slightly higher contrast than the 180, but at the penalty of some potential illumination falloff with most colorheads. I use both; but the difference is subtle, and nothing to fret over. Frankly, I use the 150 Apo R mainly for 6x9 negs, and the 180 R mainly for 4x5.

The comparison that I'm making is between the older 180mm Apo Rodagon single-coated lens, versus a 180mm Nikon El Nikkor A multi-coated lens.

Drew Wiley

The older 180 Apo Rodagon was a process lens not equal to the 180 regular Rodagon for enlarging purposes per Bob S. on past threads. El Nikkors, with a few exceptions, are outstanding enlarging lenses; but the whole SC vs MC issue is largely irrelevant to that. If you find one at a tempting price, why not? But don't expect a detectable boost in microtonal contrast like with a 150 Apo Rodagon N.

These minor distinctions are more important to me in color rather than black and white printing, since it's one way to make minor tweaks in color print contrast without resorting to supplementary masking or switching RA4 papers. Sometimes for me in color, it's too much contrast which is the issue, so I often actually prefer single-coated lenses when working with large format color film. Smaller formats, on the other hand, need higher magnifications ratios, so are often better served with the highest contrast enlarging lenses when working in color. But each image is really it's own problem, so I keep a selection of enlarging lenses on hand, including high-end Apo Nikkor process lenses.

Drew, Thanks for the information. Of course, black and white versus color is all too relevant. My intention is to enlarge only black and white. Whereas, MC vs SC differences likely relate more to the latter, versus the former.

One comment, I believe the older 180mm Apo Rodagon was designed as an enlarging lens for the 4x5 format. The 240mm, 300mm, and 360mm Apo Rodagons were process lenses that were improvements on the Apo Ronar design. They were wider field, and their optimum aperture was f16, versus the typical f22. I have the 240mm, and it's excellent for enlarging 8x10. All three focal lengths are described as a group in the same Rodenstock literature. (I have a copy.) That literature does not include the 180mm Apo Rodagon.

Neil you are correct on the enlarging lens. I have both the Apo 180 and 240 like yours also the 180 Rodagon and don’t see any difference between it and the Apo lens in B&W enlargements

Thank you Luis, that's very helpful. I knew you had the 180mm; but, I didn't realize you also had the 240mm.

Drew Wiley

There are certain nuances in performance which might not apply in this case. For instance, the regular 180 Rodagon apparently excels in 5x7 performance; and having tested that claim, I concur. But the shortest Apo process lens I have in my set is a 240 Apo Nikkor, which I use for quite a range of things, including for 8x10 film enlargements sometimes (though I prefer a 305 or 360 for that format). It would be nice to find a sample of the less common 180/f9 Apo Nikkor; but the difference in performance from my more ordinary 180/5.6 Rodagon would hardly warrant the investment at this point in my life. Certainly the public would never notice any difference in the prints themselves.

to hell with the public Drew. If you would notice the difference...even at this point in your life - then you deserve to see this before you take your dirt nap...know what I'm saying?