Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpack recomendations

Backpack recomendations

I've just returned from a fabulous trip to Yosemite. Where I quickly learned that I need a better backpack. I have a 3# Toho and five lenses, and shoot quickloads when hiking, so I thought I could get away with a cheapo pack for short, non-strenuous hikes. My back strongly disagreed!

I have read many of the posts on this site but most are a few years old. I am wondering if there is something better that has recently come to market.

I am considering two options but am open to any suggestions:

1) A dedicated photo-backpack such as one the Mountainsmith packs (Does anyone have experience with their packs?)

2) A good quality technical pack with a padded insert, such as that made by Lightware.

I have a fairly light set-up and want to keep it that way, so the Lowepro packs are too heavy for me (The Mountainsmith is only about 5#).

I want to have quick access to the equipment, as with a photo-backpack or the Lightware insert. Now I have everything packed in individual padded bags so it is slow to set-up.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Backpack recomendations

The Mountainsmith looks nice. http://www.backcountry.com/store/MOU0048/Mountainsmith-Paralax-Camera-Backpack.html?id=tC2BBnbu

Haven't seen one in person.

I use a Lowepro, but you've taken it off the table.

Good luck.

Eric Biggerstaff

Backpack recomendations

I have used several Lowepro packs over the years and find them excellent, but as mentioned, those are off the table. The Lowpro is perhaps the best built and has the most comfortable suspension system, but it may be over kill for a lot of situations.

The Lightware pack is very nice and very well built. They are based here in Denver where I live and recently I went down to their warehouse and looked at them. It is nice as the insert can be removed and used in other Lightware bags. I am thinking about one myself. Also, thier suspension is very nice and would be fine for hikes of a day or two. There is enough room for coats and hats, etc. as well.

Mountainsmith is another good Colorado company and I have carried several of their packs for technical climbing over the years and can tell you they are high quality. However, I did not even know they made a photo dedicated pack.

Currently I use Gnass Gear products and place them either in my REI front loader day pack for light hiking or into my Osprey pack for longer carries. This system is nice and versitle but at times I wish I could simply open the front panel and have access to my gear ( like on the Lowepro or Lightware).

It is a tough call as there are so many variables. It might take you a couple tries before you find a set up that works well for your needs.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Backpack recomendations

Ron, like everything,packs are a comprimise. I agree that the Lowepro packs are too heavy, way too heavy. I have tried seeveral of the other 'purpose built' packs and didn't like any of them. I used an f64 for nearly a year but never felt the straps, padding, suspension, support, etc. were up to what I have come to expect in a good pack. I think you are much better off finding a packmade for hiking and climbing that you can use.

Eric is right on as far as Mountainsmith goes. For the past three years I have been using a Dana Designs toploading pack for day hikes and mild climbing. Works fine, feels good. But it is a top loader and you may find it is not for you. I don't think it takes me very long to get things out and set up. Mostly a question of putting things in the same place very time and remembering where they are.

I was intrigued with the idea of photo packs when they started to become popular and available for LF equipment but, having spent some 40+ years hiking and climbing, I was soon persuaded that until makers of photo packs learned to build them the way the packs I have been using for years are built I would stick to hiking and climbing packs and ignore the photo packs.

Backpack recomendations

To follow up on Ted Harris' suggestion: You might take a look at www.explorercases.com. The inserts are sold separately and will turn every backpack into a padded photo pack. The padding is not as bulky as the Lowe. They are quite light. The link "Downloads" on their site will take you to a specs sheet.
    Good light!
    Hening

Backpack recomendations

The one to which your link pointed looked good, but what are it's dimensions? The notice doesn't say. You want to make sure it's large enough. You're talking about a significant quantity of equipment. Thick is good, since it allows one to put two lenses in the same cubby hole.

Hard to find anymore, my current pack is the best I've had. It's a large, rectangular cloth enclosure into which I've placed a block of foam. I've cut holes for the camera, lenses, etc. It's lighter than a smaller sized Lowenpro.

Backpack recomendations

Get a good quality hiking pack and try a bunch on at one or more outfitters. Packs are like shoes, the most expensive ones don't necessarily fit a give individual the best. Get a panel loader and use a padded Pelican case insert in it.

I've used this set up for several years and it works well.

Steve

Backpack recomendations

If you have access to a sewing machine and the inclination, you might consider converting a good backpack yourself. I converted a kelty redwing which has excellent suspension and is a front/panel loader. Just a bit of black canvas, thin foam and velcro and you can make whatever compartments you need. I also used a bit of 1/8 plexi inside of the foam and canvas for more rigid dividers. And with compression straps you can mount a tripod on the side.

Backpack recomendations

What Steve said with a major addition ... should ahve thought of it before. Quality outfitters are used to folks coming in with gobs of stuff to pack and try out a pack so do it. Collect all the gear that you want to go in your prospective pack and take it with you to the outfitters. Try loading an dunloading an assortment of packs, walking around with them, putting them on and taking them off. No serious hiker or climber will think you odd ..... although they might ask you if your camera is strong enough to hammer a piton.

Dave Karp

Backpack recomendations

I use a Kelty Redwing 3200. Every time I try on a dedicated camera backpack I gratefully put it down and go back to the Redwing. The suspension is far better for me than any Lowe, Tamrac or other pack I have tried.