Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a deal!

What a deal!

Just point this baby at your wife and her sisters and it'll make you some pictures that will hang in The National Gallery of Art. And for only a grand over what a new one would cost from Badger!

http://cgi.ebay.com/K-B-CANHAM-8X10-Traditional-Field-Camera-Rare_W0QQitemZ7612203575QQcategoryZ15248QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What a deal!

LOL! I was tempted to send this seller a comment saying the following: Rare? You can still buy these cameras new! And they cost less new than you are trying to sell it for used.

What a deal!

Yes, but Jock Sturges Kodak Master wnet for normal, same - famous dudes camera - buy it and you can take pictures just like him. It's like buying St. Ansel's sinar

Nixon has always been a bit of a gearhead - I wonder if he is just sticking to his Phillips or if he's going digital...? (btw - I don't think he is the seller)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

What a deal!

jeesh - that should be "Yes, but Jock Sturges Kodak Master went for more than normal"
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

What a deal!

Nixon has always been a bit of a gearhead - I wonder if he is just sticking to his Phillips or if he's going digital...?

So far as I've heard, he's never stuck with any camera for very long, Phillips or otherwise; he's probably used more different 8x10 field cameras than anyone else I can think of. His vertical Explorer was sold on eBay a few years ago. I don't know if he had another Phillips or exactly what he's using now. A couple of years ago he was showing 10x12 contact prints as well as larger prints, 18x22 and 20x24, some or all of which may have been enlargements.

What a deal!

To my mind a lens used by a famous photographer should command a premium, not a camera. After all, the lens captures the image; the camera is merely a light tight box through which the image passes. Everybody agree?

What a deal!

"There is a plate under the ground glass that reads 'in memory of my father'. I added that after I purchased the camera from Nick."

That would definitely enhance the value for me. Whenever I looked at the groundglass, I could fondly think of the father of a guy who bought a camera from Nick Nixon. I hope he wasn't an axe murderer. And boy, if I were to buy the camera, I would hope my father wouldn't see it, since he's very much alive.

What a deal!

I'd say that most lenses are better than most photographers. Much better.

Especially those photographers that think any lens will make them better photographers.

What a deal!

I heard Nixon is using an Ebony now. The ultralight version with just front rise/fall and tilt. Emile/www.deleon-ulf.com

What a deal!

Well said Marko