Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Probably a dumb question - how to see or adjust LF aperture from behind the camera?

Re: Probably a dumb question - how to see or adjust LF aperture from behind the came

A Copal press shutter. Set the working aperture and mount the lens. Use one cable release to expose and the other one to view at full aperture.

Sent fra min SM-S901B via Tapatalk

Re: Probably a dumb question - how to see or adjust LF aperture from behind the came

Quote Originally Posted by maltfalc View Post
    you could probably diy a little clip or magnet of some sort that you attach to the edge of the shutter to block the aperture slider from going past where you want to stop the lens down to, so you can do it without looking kinda like a preset lens.
    You wouldn't know what stop to put the magnet until you took a meter reading after the camera was already in place at the edge of the cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    You wouldn't know what stop to put the magnet until you took a meter reading after the camera was already in place at the edge of the cliff.
    so take the meter reading before you frame and focus the shot. have you never used a preset lens before?

so take the meter reading before you frame and focus the shot. have you never used a preset lens before?
    The light can easily change while you're setting up the camera and you have to take another reading? Then what?

What's a preset lens?

The light can easily change while you're setting up the camera and you have to take another reading? Then what?

What's a preset lens?
    you literally just have to turn the camera around, take a meter reading, set the magnet or clip, turn the camera back around, set your final framing and focus, stop the lens down and take the photo like normal. you can take a second meter reading to verify the first one if you're that worried about the light changing in less than a minute. preset lenses have two aperture rings. one adjusts the aperture and the other sets the minimum aperture the first one can close down to.

you literally just have to turn the camera around, take a meter reading, set the magnet or clip, turn the camera back around, set your final framing and focus, stop the lens down and take the photo like normal. you can take a second meter reading to verify the first one if you're that worried about the light changing in less than a minute. preset lenses have two aperture rings. one adjusts the aperture and the other sets the minimum aperture the first one can close down to.
    It appears the four lenses I own don;t have two aperture rings. (Schneider, Nikor, and Fujicon) I never heard of these two-ringed lenses. Who makes them? What do I do with my lenses?

Large format lenses are not pre-set lenses. I don't know why that is brought up. Pre-set lenses were used primarily on early (1950-1960's) lenses before AUTO-diaphragm lenses were developed. Large format lenses don't need to have auto-diaphragms, and don't need to be pre-set.

I've taken lots of pictures at the top of cliffs. I've learned to be VERY careful -- especially in the wind. So far I've only lost a tape measure and a cable release.

It appears the four lenses I own don;t have two aperture rings. (Schneider, Nikor, and Fujicon) I never heard of these two-ringed lenses. Who makes them? What do I do with my lenses?
    Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Large format lenses are not pre-set lenses. I don't know why that is brought up. Pre-set lenses were used primarily on early (1950-1960's) lenses before AUTO-diaphragm lenses were developed. Large format lenses don't need to have auto-diaphragms, and don't need to be pre-set.

I've taken lots of pictures at the top of cliffs. I've learned to be VERY careful -- especially in the wind. So far I've only lost a tape measure and a cable release.
    a scenario like this where you want to stop a lens down without having to look at it is exactly why preset lenses exist and why i suggested adding something to the shutter of a large format lens to limit the travel of the aperture lever so that you can use it LIKE a preset lens.

a scenario like this where you want to stop a lens down without having to look at it is exactly why preset lenses exist and why i suggested adding something to the shutter of a large format lens to limit the travel of the aperture lever so that you can use it LIKE a preset lens.
    I think it's easier to stay away from cliffs.

I think it's easier to stay away from cliffs.
    I learned my lesson. Here's a picture of me at Dead Horse Point near Canyonlands, Utah a few feet from a cliff about 1300 feet to the bottom, maybe more. My wife took the picture and kept telling me to move back a little more to improve the shot and make it more interesting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02430.jpg